Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Leupold Scope

Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
I ended up getting the 4-12x50 VXR in the duplex firedot. I am very pleased looking through the scope and the firedot is pretty cool. I look forward to getting it mounted on my Colt until my 6.8 is finished. They didn't have the x40 that I wanted that come with cds, so I got it at the same price plus matched what I found. Needless to say, I got the scope I wanted at a very very reasonable price. Now my question is doesn't the cds work very every scope? I thought it would but the dealer explained it differently and I don't understand. Not that I really need the cds but thought it would be cool to have because the shooting ranges around me have some fairly long ranges and I do like to shoot out at distance when I can. Anyway thanks for the suggestions but in the end I love what I purchased.
That's a fantastic scope. A bit heavier than I need but it should serve you well in western hunts.

If Leupold ever makes this scope in a 2.5x10x42 I will put them on everything I own and sell everything I got to get them,
Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58

If Leupold ever makes this scope in a 2.5x10x42 I will put them on everything I own and sell everything I got to get them,
I agree!

I've often wondered why more companies don't offer a model in this configuration. Maybe because it would reduce the sales on all the other options they have. Seems to me, that is the perfect size scope for pretty much the majority of applications. Hoping it will come someday...
Old 01-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

not enough difference between 2.5 and 3.5 to notice in my opinion I have a 2.5x8 and a 3.5x10
RR
Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by miketodd58
The CDS takes some understanding on how to dial for elevation.

The dial that comes with the scope is rated for MIN not yardage. 1 min is 4 clicks which is about 1 inch at 100 yards. So 3 min is going to get you about 3inches in elevation at 100 yards.

Calling Leupold with your caliber, load, bullet weight, muzzle velocity and your zero along with atmospheric conditions will get you one free CDS Custom Dial System . Just zero your gun with the load you gave them then the MINA turn into yards. Dial to 300 yards and your custom load is suppose to give you dead on at 300 yards.
I understand the process. I'm confused about which Scopes they can go on.the dealer I went to said the cds can only go on cds models. And they cannot go on models that do not have cds. That's what I'm confused about. I thought the cds can go on any scope made by leupold?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I agree!

I've often wondered why more companies don't offer a model in this configuration. Maybe because it would reduce the sales on all the other options they have. Seems to me, that is the perfect size scope for pretty much the majority of applications. Hoping it will come someday...
I think for one it's hard to get a scope to go down that low and to get a scope to go up that High and still keep it dependable and keep the clarity. So I have to think it has to do with costs.

Swarovski and Kahles both make a 2.5x10x42 mm. They are the finest scopes I have ever owned.

I have to,disageee that there is not much difference between a 2.5 and a 3.5. When you start getting down below 3x you really start to gain in light clarity and field of view. All things being equal that is.

10x seems to me the highest that anyone needs in a big game scope IMHO. It's strong enough to see and low enough to track on a moving animal.

People tend to bite off more power than they really need. I think some of the gun rags and sniper forums may have contributed to this . A snipers role is much different than a big game hunters. Higher magnifications may be needed for a sniper for suspect identification where as a big game Hunter usually relies on binos and or spotting scopes for game identification. once game is spotted and identified..the scope becomes a sighting device moreso than a optic for identification.

Last edited by miketodd58; 01-26-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, optical clarity trumps magnification every time. Leupold makes some good scopes but they are, by no means, the best. For the ranges stated a mid-range 2.5-8 x 36 or a 3-9 x 40 would be more than sufficient.