Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Burris Eliminator rangefinding scopes >

Burris Eliminator rangefinding scopes

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Burris Eliminator rangefinding scopes

Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Burris Eliminator rangefinding scopes

I awoke early this morning, so to keep from being bored before daylight, I went to Midway USA to look around. Came across the Burris scopes above which are 3x12 and 4x16 power. The reviewer ratings on both are 5 star and the price point is comparable to some high quality tactical scopes at a $1299 and $1499 price range. That got me to thinking. For those using the quick ranging, drop compensation and windage abilities of this product for hunting, cold weather becomes an issue. Batteries don't like extreme cold. So that technology could quickly become useless in severe conditions. Because of scope's efficiency in warmer weather, this consideration may be overlooked.
If you are a use this product, what do you say about its cold weather operation.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-05-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good thoughts indeed. I prefer to employ the K.I.S.S. theory so the Eliminator is not for me. Additionally, I do not embark in long range hunting.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bugsNbows
Good thoughts indeed. I prefer to employ the K.I.S.S. theory so the Eliminator is not for me. Additionally, I do not embark in long range hunting.
Agreed on both counts. For hunters/target shooters, it would be nice to go tactical w/a KISS method scope and be dual platform. One can always moderate their hunting range.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had the 4-12 version for a while, slick little set up. Sold it a couple weeks ago for $550. Very hard to beat for that price. A haven't heard of any cold weather issues with them, I know a couple guys that hunt hard and use them exclusively too. I just couldn't "warm" up to the looks of it, just didn't look right on a bolt rifle...

But you both mentioned the K.I.S.S method and the Eliminator is about as simple as it gets. Push one button and it gives you the yardage and a little red dot pops up to give you the correct holdover. Dialing a turret is much easier to screw up and takes longer.

Last edited by jeepkid; 07-05-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid

But you both mentioned the K.I.S.S method and the Eliminator is about as simple as it gets. Push one button and it gives you the yardage and a little red dot pops up to give you the correct holdover. Dialing a turret is much easier to screw up and takes longer.
+1

First thing that came to my mind kid !

I'm a Burris guy, but never really interested in "The Eliminator"................

I want to be able to take "some" credit if I make a good shot - LOL
Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's what make life interesting. Technology is great and I think both technology and the Eliminator has its place. Sometimes though, it's good to have the old standard as a back-up. Kind of like the GPS that the battery dies on and it becomes useless. Can't read or don't have a topo map: Good luck!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
I had the 4-12 version for a while, slick little set up. Sold it a couple weeks ago for $550. Very hard to beat for that price. A haven't heard of any cold weather issues with them, I know a couple guys that hunt hard and use them exclusively too. I just couldn't "warm" up to the looks of it, just didn't look right on a bolt rifle...

What they meant by the K.I.S.S. method is the electronics period. It's just something else to go wrong. Granted the USE of those is easy as can be but dependency is an issue that needs to be addressed in the hunting community. People are becoming to dependent on fancy electronic thingamabobs and dohickies and whatchamajiggers and neglecting to learn the basics. Then when faced with a situation where their new fangled dodamaflotchie fails, I.E. cold weather failure, they are then lost as to what to do.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the electronics fail then it just turns into a regular scope...you can still either dial up or just "hold over"...
Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an Eliminator Gen 1 for a time which came on a used rifle. Very effective and user friendly scope. I have a couple specialty pistol colleagues whose opinions I respect greatly that have a couple of Eliminator II's which they recommend highly. Cold weather was never an issue for my Gen 1, and as has been mentioned, if the electronics fail, it operates like any other scope.

The reasons I sold mine are very simple - 1) I could get value out of it, 2) it was kinda heavy, and 3) I still had to carry a rangefinder. I like to range EVERYTHING continually through a day. Integrating the rangefinder into the scope is amazing for a certain part of that application, but it's not great when you don't really want to point your rifle at the thing you are ranging.

I'm very tempted to pick up a BEII or the new BEIII for the next specialty pistol I put together.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-05-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

^^^ this. Plus, the damn thing is fugly. I'm into form and function. It's both for me.