Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Slug Gun Sighting Question >

Slug Gun Sighting Question

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Slug Gun Sighting Question

Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Slug Gun Sighting Question

I'm using the Remington Copper Solids 12GA they are rated for dead on at 50 yards but drop -3.5 inches at 100 yards how do I set it to where I can shoot dead on from under my treestand out to 100 yards ? Should I set my 50 yard group at 2" high or will I miss close ?

Basically I want to be able to shoot dead on at 10 yards all the way out to 100 yards if needed
Old 08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say 2.5" high at 50 yrds this should put you dead center at 115 yds., your well within the kill zone of a deer from 0-125 yds.

What is your shotgun set up?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Browning Gold Hunter with a Leupold 2x7 Scope and Remington Copper Solids 2 3/4 shot

I never really shoot 100 yards my normal shot it maybe 25-70 yards but it would be nice to know I can aim dead on under my treestand and kill them out at 90-100 if need.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Spike

Don't take someones word for it, go out & sight the gun in at 100 yards so that "you" know where it hits & the shoot it at 50 & then at 25 yards. Every gun shoots different & you should NEVER assume that a bullet that groups well at 50 yards will group good at 100 yards. Yes it's expensive to do, but you owe it to the game you hunt to know for sure where your bullet will hit.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few inches high at 100 yards and a few inches low at 200 yards; the only thing else you want from a slug gun is good groups.

Buy some different ammo, head to a indoor range and sight-in from a bench with zero wind.

By the end of that session you should be ready to go !!!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

follow these steps, no matter what ammo brand you use:

http://www.litfld.com/news-resources...ing-technique/
Old 08-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sheridan is on the money. As far as factory "arc" info ? Take it with a grain of salt. Try a few different loads. Your set up will likely group better with one paticular one. That would be the one Iwould go with. Then managing the arc becomes a matter of personal choice and in my book, there is no substitute for testing at the range ..... then deciding the limitations.

I'd suggest set zero at the "typical" yardage you expect the majority of your shots to be. Say that is 100 yards. Then check to point of impact at say 50-75-125-150. That should give you the info that you need.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GregK4
Don't take someones word for it, go out & sight the gun in at 100 yards so that "you" know where it hits & the shoot it at 50 & then at 25 yards. Every gun shoots different & you should NEVER assume that a bullet that groups well at 50 yards will group good at 100 yards. Yes it's expensive to do, but you owe it to the game you hunt to know for sure where your bullet will hit.
Amen.

The only thing I would do differently is start at 50 yrds and get zero'd in there. the shoot the 100 yrds so you know and can fine tune from there.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used to shoot copper solids when we could not use rifles to hunt deer in western new york they are awesome deer slugs they will put a deer down big time but as far as sighting in i used to sight in dead on at 100 yards then just practice right out of my stand or hunting spot to get familiar with shooting there and know how your gun will shoot. at those yardages you should be in the boiler room.