Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Redfield Widefield 1 3/4-5x and Nikon Monarch III >

Redfield Widefield 1 3/4-5x and Nikon Monarch III

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Redfield Widefield 1 3/4-5x and Nikon Monarch III

Old 09-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Spike

Default Redfield Widefield 1 3/4-5x and Nikon Monarch III

My Grandfather gave me two scopes recently amongst other things, but these scopes stood out. I found a good deal of information on the Nikon Monarch III, yet I couldn't find much on history, pricing and background for the Redfield Widefield 1 3/4-5x scope. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sagates67
My Grandfather gave me two scopes recently amongst other things, but these scopes stood out. I found a good deal of information on the Nikon Monarch III, yet I couldn't find much on history, pricing and background for the Redfield Widefield 1 3/4-5x scope. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!!
No luck on finding documentation or manuals for it, but those old Redfields are very well regarded. They were made in Denver and are going for about $200 on eBay currently. I would keep it and put it on a vintage rifle, not something I would sell.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

I recently acquired one of the old Redfield wide-angle scopes on a rifle I purchased as a donor for a project I am having builting. My brother also has one on a 30-06 and loves it...they are great scopes...clear, hold zero and durable. I had recently purchased a 1956 Winchester Model 88 in 308 that was in need of some glass and this was the perfect choice, so that's where it landed. I'd certainly keep it unless you have absolutely no use for it....the Monarch III is also a very good scope, one of my favorites out there now days.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sagates67
That Monarch are pretty comman but the Redfield are fewer and farther between. A very desirable scope for a wide range of big game rifles.

Hang on to that puppy!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Spike

I have a Redfield Widefield 1.75-5 on one of my rifles. It is a good scope. I also have a Redfield Widefield 2-7 that I bought about 35 years ago. It is on the Model 700 .30-06 that I bought in 1984. The older Redfields are not as bright as newer scopes, but I've always found that when I could no longer see to shoot in the evening with one of them, it was also the end of legal shooting time.