Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 12-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I've had several issues with the Leupold I have as well as 2 other friends I know that have Leupolds whom have also had problems with theirs.
Having read some of your many posts about your poor opinion of Leupold based on your experiences with the cheap Leupold model, it appears your quest is based on a small amount of experience with the broad line of these scopes.
I have used dozens of these scopes over the years without a failure of any kind. I also have friends that have Leupolds and none of them have ever had any problems of any sort. I think the better Leupolds start with the VX II line, with the lower models (like the one you had) not being considered very good for the money.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 12-25-2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

You get what you pay for. There is a box in our attic that has 14 unserviceable scopes in it. There are a couple of old Weavers that just got worn out after 30-40 years. There are a couple of cheap Bushnell and a couple BSA scopes. One is a Simmons that was used on a muzzleloader for a few years. Another Simmons died after about one year: It worked great until one day it went haywire and i missed a hog at 40 yards. Had a Nikon ProStaff on another muzzleloader for about four years but it also went bad. No more cheap scopes for this guy.

i like fixed power scopes. Beginning a few years ago my cheap scopes were gradually replaced with Zeiss 4X and 6X scopes as well as Leupold FX II 4X and FX III 6X scopes.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:20 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I disagree with this. I love my Burris and it's by far my favorite scope I've had. Leupolds included although I've never had a Mark 4. I've also never had any issues with Simmons scopes although not usually as clear as Burris.

I've had several issues with the Leupold I have as well as 2 other friends I know that have Leupolds whom have also had problems with theirs. Once you send it in they are good about taking care of it but none of them seem to hold up. None of us have had issues with Simmons nor Burris scopes. I've not had issues with Tasco's either but I know some do. No way I'd say they are the worst scopes and especially not Burris.
Burris is crap for top end game play. For the once a year deer hunter, probably fine. Very low recticle adjustments on the even their top of the line signature's. Less than 40MOA. And whats even funnier is those folks were stupid enough to put posi-lok on a target turret equiped scope.

I mean no offense, but it sounds like your experience with all is little limited. I have had well over 15-20 loops. Like I said, no offense.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

i dont get why so many people hate burris. they arent on par with leupold but they are still ok for the money.

top 5
kahles
schmidt bender
ziess
march
swarovski
if they were still made steiner would be on this list to

bottom 5
pine ridge
tasco
leapers
ncstar
konus
Old 12-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Burris (signature select level - just as a FYI, there are two higher quality levels) on all my bolts !

One of the biggest bangs for your buck, if anyone says otherwise, IMO they don't know "what" they are talking about.

Unless, you need to spend $2,000 to play.

In which case, loupy's don't even rate.

For those independent thinkers;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-26-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Having read some of your many posts about your poor opinion of Leupold based on your experiences with the cheap Leupold model, it appears your quest is based on a small amount of experience with the broad line of these scopes.
I have used dozens of these scopes over the years without a failure of any kind. I also have friends that have Leupolds and none of them have ever had any problems of any sort. I think the better Leupolds start with the VX II line, with the lower models (like the one you had) not being considered very good for the money.
I agree. I have a feeling a higher end Leupold would be better. However, I also kind of feel like why spend that much money when you are getting into the price range of other scopes that still seem better?

I moreso am saying I don't agree with Burris being one of the worst. In fact I'd rather have one than more Leupolds. There are others like Zeiss or Swarovski I'd much rather have than a Leupold if I was going to start stepping up and and spend a ton of money like you would with one of the high end Leupolds. I also don't think Simmons is one of the worst either. I don't think it's great by any means but don't think it's one of the worst either.

I think Leupolds are probably fine as long as you get a higher end one. I just don't think I'd get one when there are those others in that price range. I also don't think they should charge $250 for a scope that sucks either. I'm not sure I want to deal with a company that does that.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I use Burris (signature select level - just as a FYI, there are two higher quality levels) on all my bolts !

One of the biggest bangs for your buck, if anyone says otherwise, IMO they don't know "what" they are talking about.

Exactly....
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

-------------------------------------

I have seen more costly Burris scopes rattle loose or lose their zero on big game hunts than any other scope that costs more than $100. I have been in the camps and seen it with my own eyes. These were fairly expensive scopes, but they failed at the wrong time. This did not happen on a high percentage of scopes, but I have seen it at least a half dozen times. Maybe it is why Burris came out with their posilock system to help correct this problem.

I have seen Simmons and the cheaper Bushnell scopes fog up internally in tough conditions.

What is a loupy?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 AM
bigcountry

For those independent thinkers;

http://www.chuckhawks.com/overview_burris_optics.htm
Interesting. Ok, for the 400-500 dollars you pay for a burris signature, you could get a Leupold.

Ok, lets separate the field here. Sure, the once a week rifle hunter, will be serviced fine with philp glass on a burris. No doubt. That the same hunter would do the same with a 200 dollar bushnell elite 3200 or even better served.

Why does burris feel the need for a posi-lok? With correct errector design, anybody in optics knows its not needed. And who is the manufacture so stupid to put a posilok on a target scope? I know.

How much errector movement can you get from from your signature (target turret) scope compared to a simular target turrent mounted loopy? I know the difference on comparitive 6.5-X loops and signature. I have had the both.

How far can you move the recticle on a signature before you start getting nonlinear results? I know on both leupolds and burris.

Lastly, I guarantee you, a person with a burris signature can't complete a optics box test and end up back to where they started. But I know for a fact I can on a M4. Or even a Vari-X 6.5-20 target.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big Country,

Maybe you're right !

I am a once a week hunter.

Maybe if a hunted every day (I assume that means for a living) I would buy Zeiss or Swarovski as a PH.

In the meantime, I have put hundreds of rounds through all my bolt action rifles (including a 7MM Rem Mag & a .338 Win Mag.) all wear the same Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44mm and I have never needed to re-zero, other then switching back and forth from 75 gr V-max to 90 gr scirocco with my .243 (just lucky I guess).

Lastly, I have compared all the major brands "in my price range" and my scope is; clearer, brighter, crisper and I like the ballistic plex reticle better then any other out there and it illuminates.

No telling: I just read a post from someone who said they would never spend another penny at Cabela's, and I swear by them...................????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.