Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're looking for an excellent scope that won't break the bank I would suggest the Nikon line. Don't take my word for it, go look through them and I bet you will be more than impressed.

Personally, the Nikon Buckmaster at $200 is an amazing deal. I've looked through scopes costing twice as much that aren't any better. Plus, Nikon has a great warranty, which you will probably never need, but it's there if you did.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Trust me or us, once you own a few decent scopes and get away from the burris garbage, you won't go back. I refuse too.
So how expensive do you have to go before Burris scopes start looking like garbage? In the price range the only one I've seen that even competes with it is the Vortex Diamondback. Even in a price range or higher priced scopes Burris seems to be competitive.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hometheaterman........are you questioning BIGcountry ( I'm sorry, or US ??? ) !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-26-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
So how expensive do you have to go before Burris scopes start looking like garbage? In the price range the only one I've seen that even competes with it is the Vortex Diamondback. Even in a price range or higher priced scopes Burris seems to be competitive.
As high as you feel good with. I promise if you actively use a decent scope like a ziess conquest or Leupold Mark4, that burris will look like a dirty window.

But if you are a 5 day a year rifle hunter, and won't partake of windage/elevation adjusment, then any scope will work for you. Even a tasco I bet. If you plan on just shooting deer at 100-200 yards, then go for burris.

90% of hunters will not need anything more than a 200 dollar scope. 90% will never shoot over 200 yards.

But if you demand consistent elevation/windage target turret adjustments, that move an actual MOA when you move it MOA out to 1200 yards or more, and has the adjustment range to hit desired distance, I guarantee you, that burris will start looking pretty shabby in a hurry. I know, I gave those people the best I could. I have signatures, and black diamonds. The best scopes they had. Both had to sent back, both ran out of adjustment range before I hit 1000 yards, and then I had to buy 20MOA bases, and play with thier stupid inserts that won't hold a scope under hard recoil.

I mean no offense by this, but you recently revealed that you had limited experience in long range with posts in the optics forum. Nothing wrong with that, I wasn't born with experience, and had to learn the hard way.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bigcountry,

That was a GOOD informative post !!!

I had no idea that you meant Burris scopes can't compete on a 1,200 yard range.

I'm okay with that.

Thanks for the clarification, that explains a lot !!!

I have not taken any game at even 800 yards yet..............so I'm still a beginner also !!!

………..and you didn’t try to demean anyone either J Very good !

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes think I'm extremely lucky never having looked through an expensive scope. I bought a Simmons 44 mag scope in the mid 1990s knowing nothing about rifle scopes at all. I've never felt handicapped or had any kind of failure with it. Maybe it will happen someday, but I've never had any problem killing deer with that cheapy.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got to go with bigcountry on this. I've owned and/or shot scopes ranging from the $30 China-Mart bubble pack special to my Zeiss Conquest. There is a big difference in optical quality between my Nikon Monarch and the Zeiss, and the difference beween a $100 Bushnell is literally night and day. The Zeiss is expensive, no doubt, but if you've ever actually used one in the real world (not just looking through it at the store under florescent lights), the difference is striking. I can spot .25cal shot holes with my Zeiss at legal twilight from 200 yards, where with a the cheapy Bushnell on my ML I can barely see .45cal shotholes at 100. The clarity, contrast and light gathering of top notch glass is remarkable. Yes, you do pay for it, but you're just not going to find comparable quality glass for a lot less. High end precision optical glass is very expensive to manufacture, hence the higher priced finished product. Just the way it is.

Mike
Old 05-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I don't do long range shooting and I honestly, usually set my scope and leave it. I hunt with it and shoot at targets or cans and that's about it. If I was shooting long ranges as you suggest or something I could see the need for a better scope. For 90% of hunters though I think the Burris is a great scope. Especially consider about 85-90% of the hunters I know use Simmons, Tasco's, or cheap Bushnells. The Burris is a big upgrade from all of them.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Good stuff...for us new to glass guys..I think a 169.00 Nikon is a great jump from a 49.99 Bushnell