Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes >

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Top 5 best & worst rifle scopes

Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Scopes

Isn't it ironic how things can be misunderstood by not paying attention to detail? I knew exactally what you meant, and I agree with you.

Originally Posted by isatarak
You didn't correctly read my post. I didn't say the more you spend the less quality you get. I said that as you spend more and more you get less of an increase in quality. For example, a 200 dollar scope might be twice as good as a 100 dollar scope, but a 1000 dollar scope is not 5 times better than a 200 dollar scope. Once you get above a few hundred dollars you are pretty much buying a name.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Spike

If you are looking for new, Leupold or Nikon is the way to go, Burris is ok stuff as far as I know of.If you are looking for a used one, I'd stay away from Bushnell ( Bausch & Lomb), Weaver, Simmons & Tasco,again, look for Leupold, and Redfield,Nikon if u can find it.
I got rid of everything except Leupold & Nikon in my stuff.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default Scopes

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
You can pick up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for $240 TYD from Amazon right now.
Great scope for the money,you can't go wrong with an Elite.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike

best;
1st ziess
2nd swaroski
3rd trijicon
4th leu[pold
5th unertl-(if you can find it)

worst;
1st redfield
2nd weaver
3rd tasco
4th simmons
5th millet
Old 04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

best
1. US Optics...nothing else is even close
2. Zeiss
3. Schmitt & Bender
4. Swaroski
5. Nightforce

worst
1. BSA
2. Tasco
3. Bariska
4. Simmons
5. anyone of dozens of off brand, third world, POS scopes they sell.

Even if the cost of a scope is not linear when comparing cost to quality, the fact still remains "the best is still the best".

Last edited by skb2706; 04-08-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Best scope for the money? Everybody has an opinion and this one is mine

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-4x32-Conquest-...ope-P6595.aspx

I have one of these on my muzzleloader and another on a 7mm-08
That is a super good scope. There is one on my Encore .50 muzzleloader. Just replaced the Leupold FX-II 4X33 on one of my ARs with the 4X32 Zeiss.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

I guess if I had $3000 to spend on my deer rifle Id put leopold on it ,I don't have that kind of money. So my Savage wears a 3x9x40 Tasco Pronghorn its been bumped banged dinged dropped and fallen on dozens of times and had at least 2000 rounds fired under it in 15 years its been 10 years since I moved an adjustment for a zero . I shot at least 100 full tilt loads last year. My dad put a tasco 4x12x40 w/range finder on his 700BDL in 1972 ,its basicaly a 25-06 M40,since he quit hunting varments in the early 80s he hasn't touched an adjustment either. My best friend has a 700BDL lefty with a 3x9x40 leopold seems like we tweek it every year but he shoots a differnt factory lot every year too.
Avoid simmons, their like Buck knives if you get a good 1 yeah ,if you don't there's no hope.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 209jones
If you are looking for new, Leupold or Nikon is the way to go, Burris is ok stuff as far as I know of.If you are looking for a used one, I'd stay away from Bushnell ( Bausch & Lomb), Weaver, Simmons & Tasco,again, look for Leupold, and Redfield,Nikon if u can find it.
I got rid of everything except Leupold & Nikon in my stuff.

I used to think this way about Bushnell and B&L until I bought and Elite 4000-B&L and Bushy 4200. Took about 1 season for me to sell the 9 Leupy's I had and top all my rifles with the 4200's.

Raingaurd is amazing and the glass on the 4200's was better then my VX II's at least doing a side by side comparison at low light. I couldn't see any difference comparing my VX III's at low light to the 4200. For double the price the Leupy's aren't that impressive to comparable brands. Buying the VX I's and Rifleman's is a waste of money IMO. You can get a much much much better scope in the same price range as those.

I have no experience with Nikon stuff other then range finders and bino's. Like both of those.

With the sales going on now for a 4200 for under $250 you can not find a better scope for that price, not even close from what I've seen.

Dollar for Dollar buying a Leupy you can do much better with other brands.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

This exercise is like…..make a list of the most expensive scopes and a list of the least expensive scopes.

I’d much prefer best scope in “this” price range.

Something purposeful.................................at least for me !
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Sheridan
This exercise is like…..make a list of the most expensive scopes and a list of the least expensive scopes.

I’d much prefer best scope in “this” price range.

Something purposeful.................................at least for me !
Trust me or us, once you own a few decent scopes and get away from the burris garbage, you won't go back. I refuse too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.