Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Shotshell crimps >

Shotshell crimps

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Shotshell crimps

Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Shotshell crimps

Hello all,

I am finally getting ready to reload my first shotshell and bought all my stuff last week. But after reading everything on these posts, I discovered a couple of things - (1) I bought 1-1/4oz wads, but have a MEC charging bar for 1-1/8, but that one is easy enough to fix (new bar or new bag o' wads).

My new issue is dealing with crimps. I have a bucket of used hulls that I have been saving up to reload, from the past couple of seasons of dove hunting. So when I started the process of depriming the hulls, I discover the first 2 out of the bucket are different. One is a winchester and one is a remington, which I didn't think mattered, until I saw that they each have a different number of crimps. I'm not sure which was which, but I think one had 6 and one had 8. So my question is - Does this matter? Do I have to only use one kind based on what my crimping thigamagig is rated for, or will the press fold them all correctly?

Thank you, Rick
Old 12-13-2004, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Shotshell crimps

I don't know a whole lot about but....your "thingamagig" will fold the crimp ok. BUT, different hull will need to be loaded with recipes designed for those types of hulls. You can get different chamber pressures from the same recipes in different hulls. (wads make a big difference too...in fact, It kida the golden rule of reloading that ANY ONE component can drastically change the load characteristics)
Old 12-14-2004, 09:13 AM

Your finial crimp can be changed for 6 or 8 DO NOT try to change the crimp from 6 to 8 or the other way it will not work.
If you have diff. brand of hulls do not mix them as you will get hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Make sure to sort rem. from win. then make sure that all the wins. are the same & do same for rems.

If you don't have a good reloading book GET 1.
I don't mean the free ones.

LYMAN SHOTSHELL HANDBOOK IS THE BEST.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 AM

Thank you. I will sort through them and see what and have many variations I have.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:18 AM

scubagtr, that's the first thing you need to do. Separate your hulls, not only by manufacturer i.e. Rem, Win, Fed, but also by the actual shell type. The more you do shotshell loading, the more you'll find that alot of folks tend to stick with 1 or 2 types of hulls depending on what they like. You'll also find that alot of the less expensive shells out there aren't really made to reload. Stick with a good hull i.e. Winchester AA or Remington Premiers, and you'll find that not only do they load very well but they also last for many reloads. As far as reloading manuals, I've used the 'free' ones for 30 years now and have done fine with them. Understand that they will be powder mfgr specific though. Again, not a bad thing if you have a favorite powder and load. Try and find someone who already is reloading shotshells and pick their brain. Who knows, you might even find a new shooting pardner. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:20 PM

Every beginer should have a good book on reloading as
it covers the does & DON"Ts that the free ones don"t.
The LYMAN Imtalk about has colored pic's of diff. hulls.
Helps you tell what hulls you have.

Highpower is right on when he says find sombody that is in to shotgun reloading as it will make it more fun but also may save you from some very costly mistakes.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:07 AM

Fastfire is exactly right. Get the Lyman book, read thoroghly, follow its directions to the letter. When I got into shotshell loading I almost did the same thing you did. A guy on another board told me to stop in my tracks and do what fastfire is telling you.