Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 New to reloading >

New to reloading

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New to reloading

Old 12-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to reloading

I am considering starting to reload. I have one caliber (.270) that I shoot in two different rifles. I would like to know what a person needs to get started developing loads and building up cartridges for both the range and whitetail hunting.

Do I need a full-blown setup?

Is there a list of minimum required/recommended equipment?

Would I see much improvement over the extensive selection of factory loads that are available for this caliber?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to reloading

The first thing I'd do if I were you is buy a couple of reloading manuals and read up on the basic reloading procedures. Then read em' again. There are several reloading manuals available. Hodgdon, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Lyman, and Hornady come to mind. Also, if you know someone who reloads, get him to show you the steps.

As far as reloading equipment is concerned, you can buy starter kits. I think Lee makes a fairly inexpensive starter kit. RCBS has a Rockchucker kit that's pretty much the standard that all others are judged against. It should have most everything in it except for the dies. I didn't go the kit route myself when I got started. I just bought individual components that I thought would be the best for each task. It was more expensive that way, but I got what I wanted. The guys at Sinclair Int'l helped me a lot with my equipment list and I keep adding gadgets all the time.

I'd also recommend that as you proceed, post any question you might have here on this board and any other reloading forum you might have knowledge of. The only dumb question is the one you DON'T ask. I learned a ton from guys on the internet.

There's no guarantee that your reloads will outperform factory ammo. However, if done right, it is more likely than not that you will achieve better results with reloads. Plus, you get a level of satisfaction and enjoyment out of reloading that you can't possibly get by going to the local Walmart and buying off the shelf.

Here are some online resources for reloading equipment and supplies:

www.midwayusa.com
www.lockstock.com
www.grafs.com
www.sinclairintl.com

Good luck. BTW, I'm heading to the woods for several days, so I won't be available to answer any questions until next Wednesday. But there are a lot of guys here who are more knowledgable than I am who can help you.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:44 PM
bigcountry

I think a few video tapes exist out there. Its fun and addictive but very time consuming. Buy a Speer manual. Its the cheapest, and I think has a good manual on reloading and tips.

Old 12-16-2004, 03:17 PM

Hi kelbro,opinions vary on equipment.Several years ago I got a Lee Anniversary kit because I was not impressed by factory ammo.I am stilll happy with the kit and it will do just fine for the average hunter shooter and economical.You will be happy reloading and the .270 is a relatively easy caliber to load for.You can`t buy ammo that is good as your own reloads....period.Even on your first batch of ammo they will shoot real good.

If you were to get the Lee system,go ahead and get the Deluxe Die set.It comes with a full length sizing die(so cartridge will fit in any rifle) and a collet die(for neck sizing brass that has been shot in one rifle only keeping brass separate).I like the collet system because you don`t have to size with lube,trim,chamfer,deburr every time you load them.Just the first time.On the neck size cases....it is hard to get neck tension perfectly every time,but a very light crimp with the Factory Crimp die solves all the woes extremely easy and it only costs another $9 to order.Best ammo I`ve ever shot.

A tumbler is not necessary at this time.When you put the sized case on the Lee trimming system you trim,chamfer case mouth,deburr outside case mouth,and polish case with steel wool all in one step.EASY!.Especially when you chuck the system in an electric drill.It polishes better than a tumbler.

The powder dispenser in the kit is pretty good with stick powders IMO.I use an empty .270 case as a powder trickler to bring the beam on the scale up to perfection.

So....IF you go with the Lee system order:
Anniversary Kit and
(a).270 case length guage/shellholder
(b)cutter and lock stud(for chucking in drill
(c)Deluxe die set .270Win
(d).270 Factory crimp die
(e)Modern Reloading by Lee

You should be set for reloading.

I like H4831 Hodgdon powder,WinLR primer,bullet of choice.I believe your first time reloads will be better than any you can buy.Read the book first and follow it step by step.It`s actually quite easy.

To answer your last question......you`ll probaly never shoot factory ammo again except for rimfire stuff!

I can load a box of .243 Win with a Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet that perfectly fits my rifle for under $5 a box.Compared to nearly $20 a box or more for factory ammo.Stick with starting loads as you don`t get that much more velocity with never exceed loads and they are safe to shoot in 90 degree heat or freezing weather.

Whatever you choose good luck and have fun!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Solitary Man

The first thing I'd do if I were you is buy a couple of reloading manuals and read up on the basic reloading procedures. Then read em' again. There are several reloading manuals available. Hodgdon, Nosler, Sierra, Speer, Lyman, and Hornady come to mind.
I was in you position, last January, the BEST advice I got was on here. One of the guys recommend this very thing, so I went out and bought 2 manuals. The first was Lymans 48th edition, because it has the best section for beginners, with detailed pictures and instructions that really helped me. Then I bought the Nosler reloading book because that was the brand of bullets i chose to reload. And lastly the kit I bought came with the Speer manual (also very good). Any time I start reloading for a new caliber, I consult all 3 for minimum/max loads, trim to lengths etc. and the 4th best tool I use is this site, these guys on here know their stuff, anytime i have a question, i ask it in here, these guys usually point me in the right direction within a day. One other question you had was will you see an improvement? Well, you have to ask yourself, "Am I reloading just to hunt"? Because many of the factory loads will give more than adequate groups to hunt with. If the 1.25-1.50 groups you get from factory loads arent sufficient then take the time to reload. I thought I would be happy with reloads that shot around an inch, until started seeing that I could get loads to group in the .50-1", now im obsessed by it, and am not happy until I achieve that with every caliber I reload. Hope this helps, and when you get started.......ask away!!

p.s. one thing I forgot, read alot of these questions in here, you will learn the guys that hang out in here, and will learn which ones to listen to and which one to not listen to
Old 12-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the tips/help. I hope you guys will bear with me as I start off down this path. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and tend to drill all the way down into things and never settle for less than perfection. I look forward to picking your collective brains.