Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Can't Find Long Range .45/70 Bullets >

Can't Find Long Range .45/70 Bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Can't Find Long Range .45/70 Bullets

Old 11-29-2004, 05:30 AM

Default RE: Can't Find Long Range .45/70 Bullets

Lee makes a 500 grain spitzer mold, but I'm a punkin' roller who doesn't get 'instant play' results with BP. Cuz, if you want to go to 300 yds. and smokeless, getta 06! I hunt with bibs 'cause they got more pockets than the NEW clothing, and cheaper, no what I mean?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Spike

I know I'm 10 years too late for this thread, however it's just what I'm looking for currently. I'm in Ohio where it has been a shotgun only deer state forever. This year several straight brass cartridges for rifles are legal for the first time. The 45-70 seems to offer the best potential and as such I've invested in a T/C Encore with a goal of developing as long of a range load as possible. My research suggests the Ruger #1 and TC Encore can handle similar pressures.

Eldeguello and Buck Bomber, you guys have my interest. I'm wondering what were the results of your quest, if you're still around? If not, anybody else have thoughts?

The "use a better gun for the job" doesn't work for me since it's not an option in Ohio. I wish I could pull one of my high powers out for the job, but the game warden won't agree.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by syant
I know I'm 10 years too late for this thread, however it's just what I'm looking for currently. I'm in Ohio where it has been a shotgun only deer state forever. This year several straight brass cartridges for rifles are legal for the first time. The 45-70 seems to offer the best potential and as such I've invested in a T/C Encore with a goal of developing as long of a range load as possible. My research suggests the Ruger #1 and TC Encore can handle similar pressures.

Eldeguello and Buck Bomber, you guys have my interest. I'm wondering what were the results of your quest, if you're still around? If not, anybody else have thoughts?

The "use a better gun for the job" doesn't work for me since it's not an option in Ohio. I wish I could pull one of my high powers out for the job, but the game warden won't agree.
Eldeguello hasn't posted here in 5yrs, "Buck Bomber" - which is G2 Shooter, but his avatar is the Buck Bombers logo - hasn't in 6yrs. I don't remember G2, but Eldeguello and I used to talk a lot on here, sad that he hasn't been around.

I do not believe that the TC Encore is capable of handling the "Ruger Only" .45-70 loads (~50,000), but they're well documented to manage "Marlin Only" loads (44,000). I have 3 reloading manuals that reference that the TC is on par with the Marlin, NOT THE RUGER. Most factory ammunition is loaded to around 21,000, whereas the SAAMI max is 28,000, in deference to old trapdoors. I personally wouldn't go up to the Ruger No 1 levels, but I ran a Contender at Marlin levels in the past.

For what it's worth, the factory loads, even at a meager 21,000cup, are very potent loads, capable of plenty of range for deer hunting. When you're throwing 300grns+, it doesn't have to move fast.

Also, I don't see any benefit, personally, in running super-weight bullets in the .45-70 for hunting. The energy on a 300-325grn pill, even a 250grn pill, is more than enough out to 300-400yrds, and adding weight only costs you velocity and trajectory, and increased recoil.

I'm a big fan of the Hornady Leverevolution 325grn FTX bullet, and the factory ammo does quite nicely. I've reloaded this bullet to over 2400fps in Marlins (way over pressure), but in my 1895 Guide Guns, the factory fodder runs 1792fps average, and run sub-MOA at 100yrds.

Despite this lack-luster muzzle velocity, from a 100yrd zero, I get 5" at 150yrds, 10" drop at 175, 15" at 200, 22" at 225, and 30" at 250yrds Very manageable drop.

At 2100fps, my handrolls are getting 4", 7", 10", 16", and 22" for 150-250yrds in 25yrd increments. Energy at 300 is still around 1200ft.lbs.

I know fellas get tired of seeing this one, but you're new, so I'll use that as an excuse to post it again. Took this one at exactly 250yrds a few years ago with that Marlin 1895, shooting FACTORY Hornady Leverevolution 325grn FTX's at that 1792fps:

Considering that your alternatives are shotguns and handgun cartridges, even the factory level for the 45-70 is a heck of a long ways ahead of the others.

Again, I wouldn't go up to 50,000cup Ruger Only loads for the TC unless TC themselves tell you that it's ok.