Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 What primers to use in .308 loadings? >

What primers to use in .308 loadings?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What primers to use in .308 loadings?

Old 08-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What primers to use in .308 loadings?

I've recently started reloading 308 winchester all of my load data shows to use a federal 210m Large rifle primer. But I have tons of winchester Large rifle primers. And would hate to have to buy more or different primers then what my other loadings use. I have limited space for primer storage. Anyway I would appreciate any input on wether there is a big enough of a difference between federal 210M LR primers and winchester LR primers that will make have to buy the federal 210 M primers.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:45 PM

Default RE: What primers to use in .308 loadings?

I have never noticed a proformance difference in primers until you get into the really big boys, where the Federal magnum primer is king. With a .308, any large rifle primer will do fine, just work up your load with the primer you intend to use. They are all very similar, but not interchangable! Don't work up a load, then switch primers!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:30 AM
bigcountry

Charley, they have debunked that idea of Federal being king for over a decade. Check out precision Rifle's data and even john barshness's "rifle" pressure data and many others. That Winchester is the hottest and a few writers showed how a relatively safe load at 60K PSI with say a Federal 215, could be not save with a WLRM primer.

I am not a fan of the Winchester primers. Seem too hot. I have tried 215's and CCI's 250 with 308, with bad results. 210's or something milder always work better for me.

Old 08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO go with what the load calls for ,if you weed Win. primer load data look around at different books and web sights. If that fails talk to a tec. from a bullet or powder manufacter, I have talked to Hornday tec. several times .
Old 08-02-2004, 05:23 PM

What powder are you using? If you are using a ball powder, like H335, your WLRs will work great. If they are WLRMs, that would be too much, as has already been stated, they are too hot. I use WLRMs in my .378 Wby, they reliably ignite some very heavy loads of H870.
The Winchester primer was formulated by Olin, the company who originated Ball powder. Ball powder burns cooler than IMR powder (stick), but it is harder to completely ignite. It meters great though.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Use the Winchesters til your heart is content. They work great. Cheaper too.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

1mile50,
I am using varget powder
the load data is 46 g. maximum charge 165 grain jacketed bullet (i'm gonna use a sierra
165 g. BTHP gameking) winchester case ( I'm using remington cases, I measured the case volume same as winchester) with a federal 210m primer ( I have winchester LR).
I'm pretty certain of everything else just not sure about the primers.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:46 PM

That seems to be the data from the Hogdon website. Varget is an extruded powder, not spherical. Hogdon worked up their load with Federal primers. Doesn't mean you can't use WLRs, but it does mean that your max load may be less than 46 grains. My advice would be to start at the minimum and work up slowly, .2 or .3 grains at a time.

Good luck!
Please let me know your results.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I loaded up 50 rounds this eveing, A friend of mine talked me into using federal primers so i went on a search around town for fed 210m primers never found any but did find federal 210 primers my friend that runs the shop I bought them at recommended using the federal 210's over the winchesters, and to start with a minimum start load of 42 grains. My powder measure and scale didnt feel like workin with me tonite LOL when i first adjusted the powder measure i hit 42.3 grains on the nose trying to turn it back some it went down to 41.2 grains so then turning back up I hit 44 grains It was so tedius driving me crazy so after 2 hours of this I finally gave up and settled with it when I was getting a consistant 42.2 grains so I went with it and loaded up 50 rounds and gonna hit the range tomorrow, the range has a supplied chronograph I'm gonna use if my velocity is in the ball park of 2700 fps I'm gonna run with it and not change a thing but if i'm under 2700 fps then I will work it up a bit untill I hit my mark of 2700 fps though the load data shows 2773 fps for the maximum load I figure it would be better to stick with 2700 fps mark. Now the load data says that velocity is with a 24 inch barrel I'm assuming with a 1 in 12 twist rate. My barrel is 22 inches with a 1 in 10 twist how much of difference do you think that will make asfar as velocity goes. If its a considerable amount, then maybe if I'm getting atleast a velocity of 2650 to 2700 fps It would be wiser to just leave it where it is. I'm almost thinking untill I get a digital scale to just use the start load regardless of velocity.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

something else I wanted to add was the load data notes it as a compressed load, From my experience with loading 357 magnum I've loaded compressed loads with Win 296 and Vectan SP3 and the load data recommends using the exact powder weight listed and not backing it off thus leaving you with no start load then working it up. with your knowledge and expertise would the 42.2 grains be adequate enough for a start load for my 308 loading?

Quick Reply: What primers to use in .308 loadings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.