Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
One more accuracy ?? >

One more accuracy ??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

One more accuracy ??

Old 02-23-2002, 03:16 AM

Default One more accuracy ??

Greets again guys,
this site has been a wealth of info for me, thanks to you all! Now one final question:
I have decided to load my 30-06 with a 165gr nosler partition. What kind of accuracy should I expect from that bullet at say 250 yards? ( I intend to practice out much farther, but I dont trust my skill to shoot an animal farther than that so I limit my shots to under 300 yards. ) I like what I have read here on that bullet, but I weonder what its capable of as far as accuracy at longer ranges.

Thanks again all!

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 02-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: One more accuracy ??

I have found all Nosler Partition bullets to be about as accurate as Sierras. In most of my guns, I can work up a load using the Sierra, then substitute the Nosler without much change in point of impact (but there sometimes is!! you have to test for this!!). The amount of accuract you can get depends upon things other than just the bullet. You will have to develop a load, experimenting with: primers (I get good results from Federal 210's); powder (IMR 4064 has been very accurate in my '06'swith 165-168 grain bullets, but 4350 is also good); powder charge (I start several grains below published Max. loads, and load 5 rounds each, working up in half-grain increments, and stop when I get to the weight which gives me the smallest group); and, maybe, bullet seating depth. (I usually seat my bullets out as far as they can go, withing about 2-3mm of the lands in the barrel, if the magazine box is long enough. Right now, my two '06's are single-shots, so this is not a problem!!) Good luck!!

Larry
Old 02-23-2002, 11:23 PM

Default RE: One more accuracy ??

Greets,
thanks for the info eldeguello, actually my question was all other things being equal, what kind of accuracy can be achieved with the partition in 165 gr at 300 yards. This realizing that powder charges will have to be expiremented with to achieve the accuracy. ( within safe tolerances of course )
So that said, here is what I plan to do: I will take 25 rounds of brass, make 5 rounds per charge, using H414 and starting at 52gr (.5gr over min according to my manual )5 at 52.5gr, 5 at 53gr 5 at 53,5 gr and finally 5 at 54gr. I figure for my first run at this I will stop there even though my book lists a max at 56gr of h414.
i intend to trim all cases to the exact same length, and seat all bullets exactly the same, for consistency. Is this a good plan??

ATTN ALL PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS DATA FOR YOUR OWN RELOADING WITHOUT VERIFYING IT IN A MANUAL yourself.

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry

Edited by - Adui13 on 02/24/2002 00:24:36