Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Accelerator Sabot help.... >

Accelerator Sabot help....

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Accelerator Sabot help....

Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Banned

Default Accelerator Sabot help....

I'm wanting to load the "Accelerator Sabot" in .308Win.
Any help on a suggested load? I am new to reloading also.
I'd be shooting Prarie Dogs/yotes/etc out to 1000 yds (if all goes well)
Also, should I get a special die for these sabots? Or do I really need that.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I know that Remington has an "accelerator" cartridge and that is as much as I know. I would love to know more myself. Do you know what sabot and bullet is used or is that what you are trying to figure out?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

No, I'm looking for info on loading it myself. What type of powder, how much, which primer, do I need the special die? That kind of info.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

1000 yards? Really?

What you're talking about here (a .308 with a .224 bullet in a sabot) isn't much different than a .22-250, just a shade hotter.

Just a quick check in LoadBase tells me that a 50 gr (BC = .232) .224 V-max driven at 4000 fps (which is about what I expect to achieve in velocity) will go subsonic at 760 yards, and drops a mere 421.1 inches (35 feet) at 1000 yards. Maybe I need to get a tapered base to get that much elevation out of my optics?

I've used a .22-250 out to 600 yards on the KD, but what steam it had left was barely enough to take the paint of the 12x12" steel plate.

The "die" you're probably referring to is the one used to seat the .224 bullets into the sabot. I've not tried it yet, but it looks to be a much better alternative to stuffing bullets into plastic sabots by hand.

There's actually some information out on the internet regarding such loads. I've had plenty of projects ahead of this one, not to mention plenty of loaded .223 and .22-250 to go through at the local dog towns before it's likely I'll load up any .308 sabots. It'd be interesting to load some up in my .300 Weatherby as well, but I'm guessing it'll be far from practical.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who makes the ready-to-load sabots with the bullets? Who makes the sabots? I've never looked for them in particular, but also don't ever remember seeing them in any reloading rags. Probably could achieve some velocity with them, but LR accuracy is a huge question to me......
Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Twice i have tried to work up accurate loads using the accelerator sabots in several .30-06 and .308 guns. The accuracy was never there. 2-3" groups at 100 yards does not a varmint round make.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Falcon....... I'm surprised. Given that kind of mis-accuracy . . . I may be better off just puttin' a .223 barrel on my Savage!
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pawildman
Who makes the ready-to-load sabots with the bullets? Who makes the sabots? I've never looked for them in particular, but also don't ever remember seeing them in any reloading rags. Probably could achieve some velocity with them, but LR accuracy is a huge question to me......
I used to see Accelerators from Remmington in 30-30, but haven't looked lately. I don't think they make them anymore. And if they do, might be seasonal.
The sabots I'm looking at are from Eabco.
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...it-301-58.html
There are likely others.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
I used to see Accelerators from Remmington in 30-30, but haven't looked lately. I don't think they make them anymore. And if they do, might be seasonal.
The sabots I'm looking at are from Eabco.
http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...it-301-58.html
There are likely others.
... Reviewed the website you offered. Interesting. I stlll don't think you're going to hit MOY (Miute of yard) at anything past 200 yds. with them.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pawildman
... Reviewed the website you offered. Interesting. I stlll don't think you're going to hit MOY (Miute of yard) at anything past 200 yds. with them.
Now that was funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.