Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Belted vs. Non-belted-- Pros & Cons? >

Belted vs. Non-belted-- Pros & Cons?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Belted vs. Non-belted-- Pros & Cons?

Old 02-25-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Belted vs. Non-belted-- Pros & Cons?

I am planning to build my first custom rifle project this summer and was wondering about the pros and cons of a belted versus a non-belted case. This will be a .30 or .338 caliber (in the class of .300 Win. Mag or .338 Win Mag) to be used with light bullets (and loaded down) for deer and heavier bullets for larger game. I reload and am experienced with non-belted cases but have never worked with belted cases. I have read some place that belted cases can be a pain to reload but found no details. Could someone please elaborate on this? Also what are the other pros and cons of using a belted versus a non-belted case? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Belted vs. Non-belted-- Pros & Cons?

I use both belted and non belted cases and find that both are equally simple to reload and both provide equivalent case life.I really don't notice any difference except for appearance.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some say that cases that headspace on the shoulder are more accurate than those the headspace on the belt. However Belted cases can be sized to headspace on the shoulder as well. I have never ever noticed much difference either. All the rifles that I have now are nonbelted cases.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stubblejumper is right the belt is cosmetic. The only instance when the belt is used is when it comes to the H&H magnums. The case is headspaced off the belt and not the shoulder due to the cases shallow shoulder. All other belted magnums are headspaced of the shoulder not the belt. I have never read full sizing die instructions which state how to full size, so head spacing is executed off the belt. When someone states the belt is a negative factor when it comes to accuracy, they are uninformed or trying to sell you something. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:03 PM

Bloodnative,

Properly adjusting a full length sizing die foe a belted case can be a pain. But when once done you can full length size a case so the bolt will close on a case with just a little feel and that should take care of it for you. If available, I'd suggest you get a neck sizing die and forget about full length sizing. The belted case was designed by H & H for the case to headspace on the belt. This was necessary due to the powders used at that time. (Cordite) A lot of the new magnum cases were made with the belt because of being identified with Magnum performance. The belt hasn't been necessary for about the last 75 years or so. The non-belted case, will handle the pressures of magnum performance, and are easier to work with. If it were me, I'd let the belted cases die a natural, if belated, death. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

with a real good accurate headspace and real good set of dies, nothing is gained or lost. Beltless seems to help mask some headpspace issues to a degree. Just doesn't make sense for the belt to even be there.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Except for the 7.65 Arg., belted cases are all I've loaded for and I've never had any problems with them. I do find the belt quite unnecessary, though, since I neck size only. Seeing all the cartridges out there now that don't utilize a belt, I think I've bought my last rifle chambered for a belted case.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

The only thing I even dislike about a belted case is you don't get as many reloadings out of it as most non belted cases. But I love my 300 win and I'll keep buying the brass when its needed.