Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 swift scirocco' s >

swift scirocco' s

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

swift scirocco' s

Old 11-29-2003, 01:57 PM
jjt

Default swift scirocco' s

i need info on these bullets if anyone can give me some

i have read swift' s website

i am more interested in how they shoot 25 - 600 yards
what they do to game antelope thru moose

these are my perameters

rifle: .300 win mag
bullet: 165gr or 180gr hand loads
game: antelope, mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose, black bear, caribou, and (soon) wolf

right now i shoot a combination of A-frame and Nos Part. but i am likeing what i have read so far on the polimeir tiped, lead bonded, boattails

does recoil smash the polimer tip or does it stay sharp??
Old 12-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: swift scirocco' s

I've only used them on whitetail, so my opinion may not count for much. I've used the 180 gr. Scirocco in my .300 Wby. and quite honestly I thought this bullet expanded too much. If I was hunting larger animals, I'm not sure I'd use them. Although I don't have any firsthand experience, from what I've heard, the Nosler Accubond does a better job because it doesn't expand quite so much.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:38 PM
jjt

i am shooting some for testing right now and getting great groups but i have yet to find a coyote or road kill that i can test the exp on

thanks for the info
Old 12-03-2003, 08:44 PM

jjt no the tip doesnt "smash" from recoil. The polymer tip retains its shape until it hits something in flight. Then at that moment the tip is slammed rearward into a cavity which then initiates expansion on par with most hollowpoints (thats essentially what most ballistic tips are, hollowpoints wearing polymer tips over their openings). The purpose of the various "tipped" bullets is to prevent tip deformation while in the magazine and while being cycled into the chamber. Then since that sharp (aerodynamic) shape is maintained, it maximizes air resistance and encourages retainment of velocity. At the exact moment the tip moves rearward and intiates expansion, its job is done.

It was my hope that the thicker walls of the jacket on the Scirroco would overcome the quick expansion of bullets like SSTs and Ballistic Tips. But I have heard about as many nays as yas so the jury is still out in my court of public opinion. I just wonder if perhaps someone like Barnes or Combined Tech have tried such a nose in their Xbullets and Fail Safes just for added aerodynamics???

WHACK EM!
RA

ps
Btw jjt, I am booked for Oct 1-5, 04 for Mulies and Antelope around the Powder Pass area of WY (up in the Bighorn Mountain foothills as I am to understand). Do you have any experience in this area? Thanks for any info.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 AM
jjt

thanks for the info on the bullets

i am sorry i do not have any info on the powder river basin
i have not had the pleasure of hunting anywhere around there