Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Range report - 460 S&W Encore, 41 Mag Blackhawk >

Range report - 460 S&W Encore, 41 Mag Blackhawk

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Range report - 460 S&W Encore, 41 Mag Blackhawk

Old 10-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Range report - 460 S&W Encore, 41 Mag Blackhawk

Last night, I stayed up loading some rounds to test out of my new 15" 460 S&W Encore barrel. Using Hornady brass, Federal Large Rifle primers, 250 grain XTPs, and Unique, I made four groups of loads using 16, 17, 18, and 19 grains of powder.

How did I come up with these numbers, you may ask? Well, I looked at a copy of 454 Casull load data provided by Freedom arms, which lists loads using Unique. Using my Hornady loadbook, I divided the maximum charges of the same powder/bullet combination listed in the Hornady 9th edition for the 460 S&W and the 454. In other words, the 460 max load of H110 behind a 240 grain XTP-Mag is listed as 49.5 grains, divided by the the maximum charge with the same powder/bullet out of the 454 of 36.9 grains is 1.34. Checking that across multiple powders gives similar numbers, so I used 1.33 as an average. Multiply that by the Unique minimum and maximum load listed in the FA data (12 and 15 grains), you get a minimum of ~16 grains and a maximum of ~20 grains.

Anyway, range time.

16 grains: 1,548 fps average, 23 s.d. Not bad for my first open sight group in a year.

17 grains: 1,574 fps average, 57 s.d.

18 grains: 1,638 fps average, 23 s.d.

19 grains: 1,677 fps average, 50 s.d. My groups tightened up, toward the end of the range session, mostly due to me getting used to open sights again.

Recoil was still pretty stout, but not unbearable. If I go with this setup, I'll use 16 grains of Unique since it was the most pleasant to shoot, and larger powder charges wouldn't give me enough power to make a difference. Honestly, within 30 yards, would any deer hit well notice a difference between a 1,550 fps bullet compared to 1,675 fps?

I thought about firing one of my full power handloads through this barrel, just to see what velocity I'd get. If my 14" Model 460 gets 2,650 fps with a handloaded 200 grain FTX, I wondered how fast the 15" Encore barrel would get it. However, I was too scared to try it. Didn't feel like digging a front sight out of my forehead before work.

With time to spare, I set up my 41 Magnum Blackhawk.

I've been having issues with it ever since I installed the Weigand mini scope mount and Vortex Viper dot sight. Not only is it throwing the bullets more akin to a shotgun pattern than a group, but it also does so far enough away from the point of aim that there isn't enough adjustment to get it sighted in. I fired three rounds and, at only 25 yards, had a 6" group. Fed up, I took the dot sight off and mounted my old Nikon 2x scope. Due to the small size of the mount, I had to put both rings on the rear portion of the tube. I fired two more rounds that were nearly touching (the circled ones):

So, it's clear that the dot sight is to blame for the inaccuracy. Not only that, those two hits were well within the scope's adjustment range. Unfortunately, the mount began to loosen. Due to the rounded out screw, I couldn't tighten it back in, so I just decided to take the whole assembly off. I'm done messing with the Weigand mount and dot sight. They've been nothing but trouble since I put them on. I have a Weaver #301 mount on the way so I can properly mount the scope and get it sighted in next weekend.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice....I've been thinking of getting a 460 in S&W revolver. I think you should give W296 or H110 powder a try in it. I bet you'll have good results.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Nice....I've been thinking of getting a 460 in S&W revolver. I think you should give W296 or H110 powder a try in it. I bet you'll have good results.
That's what I'll use eventually, but not until I get a big muzzlebrake installed.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A pair of Mechanix M-pact gloves are a lot cheaper than a muzzle brake, and can be bought and deployed faster. Good for a handgunner to have anyway.

What's it look like at 200?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't shot either 460 at 200 yet. Guarantee you I will someday, hopefully during the winter or next spring.