Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Need Help

Old 05-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need Help

How do I know when the brass is not capable of being reloading other than cracks and other obvious signs. I am having real hard time trouble shooting. I have FL sized and compared to other reloads. Everything looks the same. Could the brass be to big? I haven't reloaded in a while but I just don't understand what's going on. I have reloaded this brass 3x. It is for a 257 Weatherby. Maybe the life of the brass is done?

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 05-28-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

What seems to be the issue? Hard to advise you without knowing what problem you're having.
But I'm going to take a stab at this and think you're having trouble chambering a loaded round. If that's the case and having fired these cases 3 times and on the fourth reloading and it being a 257 WM my guess is that the case stretched and needs to be trimmed. But again, I'm grabbing at straws here because I don't know what your problem is!
Old 05-28-2017, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Im not to sure I understand either. I'd measure the casing as described in the manual checking it's length and width to see if it's to long or wide to chamber. Last time you fired the rifle did everything function as normal . Was it hard to extract the rounds?
Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

here are some signs of fatigue in brass
loss of neck tension....solution anneal
springback from work hardened brass....solution anneal
incipient case head separation...solution trash it
loose primer pockets......your casehead expansion is more than .0015 its trashed, back the loads off your over pressure
RR
Old 05-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

The loads I shot today were actually factory loads from Weatherby. I was able to chamber and rack fine when they were not fired. Once I fired the round, it took all my weight to get bolt to extract. Eventually a round got stuck. I was able to get it out. Again this was factory ammo.

I got home and wanted to reload. I had already prepped a while back and all I needed to do was powder and seat bullet. I decided to make a dummy round first. The dummy round wouldn't even go all the way in. Again this is my reloads now.

I then checked previous reloads that were completely done. They loaded up just fine.

I do have a new rifle as this is a Remington 700 and not the Vanguard. The loads are nothing crazy, they should chamber and eject without putting an extreme amount of force.

I don't know what is going on? Am I missing something? Hopefully this is a better explanation.

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 05-28-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I might understand if it was .223 VS 5.56 or .308 vs 7.62 ammo/caliber gun ??

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-29-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like the factory loads are loaded real hot and the brass is of a type that doesn't spring back down after being fired? Bad brass ?
Old 05-29-2017, 03:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

When was the last time you really cleaned the chamber of the .257?
Old 05-29-2017, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

It does sound like you have chamber issues. Maybe time to take it to a gunsmith. could be a head spacing issue.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

It's a brand new rifle. Cleaned before shooting as well as every few shots since it is brand new. I'm not taking it to a gunsmith. I will be dealing with Remington if I need to talk to anybody, since it is brand new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.