Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Sierra gk 284 BTSP Vs HPBT >

Sierra gk 284 BTSP Vs HPBT

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sierra gk 284 BTSP Vs HPBT

Old 04-02-2017, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sierra gk 284 BTSP Vs HPBT

I have zero experience with Sierra HPBT. I have used gk BTSP in my 7rm,06,338-06, and other chamberings. I have not had any failures on 170 lb deer, 200 lb bear, and caribou (I target the crease behind the shoulder). My future holds opportunities for deer and pigs in Florida. I was recently given a M70 280 rem and am trying to decide on an all around Florida round and will use either 150 gr BTSP or 160 gr HPBT. I don't mind playing with powders to create acceptable accuracy. I have shot but a single pig (small) and it was with 308 factory rounds, I am just starting to supply my place in Florida so selection is limited.

The HPBT is for magnum rifles at long distance, it is credited as being a bit tougher in construction. Since I have relatively zero experience with pigs but have heard stories galore; at upper end 280 velocities, which bullet would perform better?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I too have no exp. with the HPBT but do with the BTSP in .30 cal 180 gr. I have used them successfully on bull moose.
I know FL deer aren't all that big so I don't think you'll need a tougher bullet. Hogs on the other hand can be tough cookies.
If these bullets perform as well as the Bergers, which are also HPs and, then I don't see any reason why they won't work on hogs. Bergers are designed to fragment causing tremendous tissue damage in the process as the drive deep into the body cavity.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

The write-up on the Sierra site is intriguing for the HPBT so even though I have a couple hundred of the 150gr BTSP I will have to order a box of the HPBT and give them a try.