Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Nosler Ballistic Tips >

Nosler Ballistic Tips

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nosler Ballistic Tips

Old 11-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

sorry they came in 50s .just bought them this summer. I'm shooting them out of a ruger american 7mm/08 1/9.5 twist.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just have a hard time blaming the bullets, I shoot BT's in the following
6mm PPC
6mm Rem.
7mm/08 (120 &140 gr.)
270 win.
25 WSSM
7 mm stw
now I use 55 gr in the PPC on deer no less, its a varmint bullet but the low velocity lets it penetrate pretty well, sometimes I don't get an exit but that's expected, I almost always get an exit with the 270 unless I hit them really hard at close range.
the 25 wssm I have never been able to recover a 115 gr BT on a deer, I've taken every angle shot I can think of, except a tx heart shot and have always gotten an exit, even on double shoulder shots. and I'm guessing I've taken 30 deer with them, and a few with the same rifle and 110 gr accubonds, the terminal performance between the 2 are identicle.
even the 7stw at 3550 fps, I will most of the time get an exit if I stay off the shoulder till the bullet hits around 3250 fps. I once shot a bear on the shoulder at 100 yards with it and at least a piece of the bullet exited. these are just my experiences with my rifles.
RR
Old 11-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

for me its the bullet.i will find something that works on deer and elk. I've killed a lot of critters with hornady interlocks in my other guns.and they come a hundred in a box.the nbt was just the most accurate,but i can live with one inch groups at a hundered.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had nothing but excellent results with Nosler Accubonds! I can totally personally recommend the Accubonds in the 7mm08!
Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Update:

I shot a couple of whitetails at about 100 yards with a 257 Roberts and a couple of pronghorns at about 300 yards with a 25-06 with the Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets this year. They did just fine. No bullets or pieces of bullets were recovered as they all passed through, and no tracking was necessary.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

I have been curious about them for deer. I don't want to be a person that fights progress. Though I am concerned about pentration, on non lung/heart shots.

The failures, were they seem to be more 6 and 6.5mm. How are they on full size rifles?

I know someone who blem a massive hole through the heart with 30-06. But again, I wonder how they are other areas. I suspect if that was your only shot, they would be the way to go.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Berserker
I have been curious about them for deer. I don't want to be a person that fights progress. Though I am concerned about pentration, on non lung/heart shots.

The failures, were they seem to be more 6 and 6.5mm. How are they on full size rifles?

I know someone who blem a massive hole through the heart with 30-06. But again, I wonder how they are other areas. I suspect if that was your only shot, they would be the way to go.
What is a "full size rifle"?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

My smart ass way of saying 7mm and up. I have read some people saying they have had bad performance. Was it the bullet or the gun?

Not all guns are created equal.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

.....The failures, were they seem to be more 6 and 6.5mm. How are they on full size rifles?
This past year i put an antelope, and a deer in the freezer that were killed by 120 grain 6.5mm Ballistic Tip bullets. The bullet passed through both animal, and both dropped right there, right now. Both were high shoulder shots.

The rifle used was kinda full sized, but it was a little shorter, and a little lighter than it would have been had it been a bolt action. The barrel was a 'match' barrel, and heavier than most, but the over all weight of the rifle was less than most hunting rifles, because there was no bolt. The falling block action allowed using a very accurate heavy barrel, without making the rifle too heavy.

It seems to be a full sized rifle, length of pull is a tad too much when i wear warm clothing. Over all length is kinda short, even though the barrel is 24 inches long; still think it is a full sized rifle though.

_____
Old 07-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

My smart ass way of saying 7mm and up. I have read some people saying they have had bad performance. Was it the bullet or the gun?

Not all guns are created equal.
Okay I'll bite! I have a .243 Sako that will put everything in a dime all day long and I'll kill any deer or smaller animal with it every time because it will put a good bullet right where I want it. I don't use it much now other than for an occasional antelope, yotes, and now I'm into pdogs with it at ranges where my 22 Hornet can't get out to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.