Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Nosler Ballistic Tips >

Nosler Ballistic Tips

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Nosler Ballistic Tips

Old 11-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

adam, try running a berger 105 out of that beast
Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
adam, try running a berger 105 out of that beast
I run the 105 in my 243 Ack, awesome bullet!

I'll probably try out the new 110gr SMK in the Mag, or the 101gr Hammer Hunter since it's lead free and I'm in California.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

i worked up a load for my 7mm/08 this summer using 140gn nbt.it was super accurate,shooting groups in the1/4 to 3/8s at ahundered yards.opening day i took a shot at a two point muley at just over 300 yards from a prone position.at the shot it dropped ,i walked up and it stood up at fifty yards so i shot it in the neck to kill it .the first shot blew a handfull of meat out of its neck.the second broke the neck, no exit.flash forward two weeks to elk season. my sil and grandson had spotted several small herds in some draws and saddles on the mountain. we drove as far as we could then got out and started hikeing.looking at the distance i opted for my 7mm/08 instead of my seven mag.being seventy I've become a wuss if i have to pack a twelve pound gun.after about a mile we walked in on sixty some head of elk from a hundered to a 150 yards totally asleep. I've never done that before with that many elk.i spotted a six point ,biggest bull in the herd with his horns tipped into the ground totally asleep.i told the sin and grandson to make sure their scopes were turned down and check that a shell was in the chamber. i told them i wouldd shoot the first cow that stood up.one stood at about 125 yards and i shot her,its amazeing how fast that many elk can blow out of an area when spooked.the bull ran within 75 yards of justin and he literaly blew the bulls heart to pieces. i looked back and the cow i shot was standing still, so i shot her again.upon dressing her ,the first shot exploded the liver no exit and a two inch hole on the entry side. second shot two inch entry hole lungs trashed no exit.probably won't use nbts again think ill stick to hornadys.i know i shouldn't have used the140s on elk but deer?
Old 11-24-2016, 03:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by deepcreek
i worked up a load for my 7mm/08 this summer using 140gn nbt.it was super accurate,shooting groups in the1/4 to 3/8s at ahundered yards.opening day i took a shot at a two point muley at just over 300 yards from a prone position.at the shot it dropped ,i walked up and it stood up at fifty yards so i shot it in the neck to kill it .the first shot blew a handfull of meat out of its neck.the second broke the neck, no exit.flash forward two weeks to elk season. my sil and grandson had spotted several small herds in some draws and saddles on the mountain. we drove as far as we could then got out and started hikeing.looking at the distance i opted for my 7mm/08 instead of my seven mag.being seventy I've become a wuss if i have to pack a twelve pound gun.after about a mile we walked in on sixty some head of elk from a hundered to a 150 yards totally asleep. I've never done that before with that many elk.i spotted a six point ,biggest bull in the herd with his horns tipped into the ground totally asleep.i told the sin and grandson to make sure their scopes were turned down and check that a shell was in the chamber. i told them i wouldd shoot the first cow that stood up.one stood at about 125 yards and i shot her,its amazeing how fast that many elk can blow out of an area when spooked.the bull ran within 75 yards of justin and he literaly blew the bulls heart to pieces. i looked back and the cow i shot was standing still, so i shot her again.upon dressing her ,the first shot exploded the liver no exit and a two inch hole on the entry side. second shot two inch entry hole lungs trashed no exit.probably won't use nbts again think ill stick to hornadys.i know i shouldn't have used the140s on elk but deer?
You probably want to use Accubonds on elk. They'll penetrate deeper. The BC's of the two bullets are nearly identical, and many people switch back and forth between them sometimes only having to move their point of impact, sometimes not. Both are just as accurate.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've dropped a few Elk, several whitetail, and a boatload of hogs with the 139gr Hornady Interlock loaded up in my 7mm-08's. Outstanding penetration and I have yet to have bullet failure from one. Longest shot was 397 yards on a 350 pound Boar hog that dropped on the spot. Shortest was 2 yards on a 220 pound boar hog (dang near hit the thing in the head with the rifle butt but opted to shoot it instead) this one did have jacket separation (found the jacket in the off side shoulder) but the rest of the bullet passed through. The NBT does have a higher BC but I've found close in performance (terminal ballistics) to be sub par at best, absolutely horrendous at times.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

how were your BT's packaged? I run the 140's at 3550 fps from a 7mm STW with no problems. you should not have any penetration problems on deer at 7mm/08 velocities, I run 120's from my 7mm/08 with excellent results.
RR
Old 11-24-2016, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default 140 nosler ballistic tips

the load i worked up was the 140 with 41.5 grains of imr 4064. this came out at 2850 from my ruger american. i had the gunsmith glass bed it an do a trigger job on it.this load was very accurate at a hundred yards. makes me mad that it shot so well but the nbt was a pos.like i said i usually use my 338 with a 225 at 3000 or my 7mag with 162s but packing twelve pound guns very far just don't work anymore.gonna try the 139 spire point and the new 150 eldx.kinda like working up loads.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

the load i worked up was the 140 with 41.5 grains of imr 4064. this came out at 2850 from my ruger american. i had the gunsmith glass bed it an do a trigger job on it.this load was very accurate at a hundred yards. makes me mad that it shot so well but the nbt was a pos.like i said i usually use my 338 with a 225 at 3000 or my 7mag with 162s but packing twelve pound guns very far just don't work anymore.gonna try the 139 spire point and the new 150 eldx.kinda like working up loads.
how were your 140's packaged? 50 per box or 100?
RR
Old 11-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

deepcreek, RR is asking how many came in the box of bullets. Reason being, one is the older style NBT's that were completely horrendous on terminal ballistics and blew up very easily. The newer ones are admitedly better at holding together but some, like me, just can't get the bitter taste of complete bullet failure out of our mouths.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

also if they were the new style, and your experiencing this, perhaps there is some issue with the barrel compromising the jacket causing failure, if so it could very well happen with another cup/core type bullet.
In my 6.5 gibbs which is an 8 twist cut rifled barrel I have experienced the same with a berger 140 VLD hunting bullet, it shoots them incredibly well but will not penetrate 2" of soft tissue, switching to the 140 match vld with the thicker jacket and I get the same performance as the guys shooting the hunting bullets in a button rifled barrel.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.