Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Need help for a new hobbie of reloading! >

Need help for a new hobbie of reloading!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Need help for a new hobbie of reloading!

Old 01-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

starting off with a single stage press is a good idea. until you are more familiar with reloading, id stay away from progressive press's. id look at an RCBS kit that includes a rockchucker press and has most of the things you will need to get started. also get different loading manuals for the bullets you will be using. might I suggest Hornady's manual as it has a lot of info on reloading and gives you terminology you need to understand about reloading. also deal with someone that knows reloading at the store you deal with. also look up price on the internet to get an idea of how much different places are selling their kits for. good luck and have a safe experience with reloading.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:37 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice Mr. Slim.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another good manual is Modern Reloading. http://leeprecision.com/modern-reloading-book/
It gives you clear concise step by step instruction.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i see someone said be safe i would second that and whatever you do is don't get distracted focus on what your doing and look in each case before you seat the bullet to make sure you have powder in there you don't want to forget it !!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
yeah i see someone said be safe i would second that and whatever you do is don't get distracted focus on what your doing and look in each case before you seat the bullet to make sure you have powder in there you don't want to forget it !!
That right there is why I seriously never recommend progressive style presses to beginners. All to easy to miss an extra charge amount in the case. I have several single stage presses and can easily load up 200 an hour after case prep. Mercy's lathe style case trimmer suggestion is as spot on as one can get. Accurate case length can be the rise or fall of a well crafted load. And one thing you NEVER want to "skimp" on is your scale! A high quality scale will not only aid you with accurate loads, but SAFE loads as well. Calibrate and test your scale often for safety.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
That right there is why I seriously never recommend progressive style presses to beginners. All to easy to miss an extra charge amount in the case. I have several single stage presses and can easily load up 200 an hour after case prep. Mercy's lathe style case trimmer suggestion is as spot on as one can get. Accurate case length can be the rise or fall of a well crafted load. And one thing you NEVER want to "skimp" on is your scale! A high quality scale will not only aid you with accurate loads, but SAFE loads as well. Calibrate and test your scale often for safety.
i hear ya and agree. the one thing about a turret press it is basicly a single stage if you use it that way then as you become familiar you can "progress" to the other stages. that way you don't have to spend the extra cash on another press but you know how that goes i have four presses and use them all for different types of reloading !
Old 02-11-2016, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

bigtimer, did you get started with your reloading yet? did you find all the equipment you wanted? let us know how things are going.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Mr. Slim
bigtimer, did you get started with your reloading yet? did you find all the equipment you wanted? let us know how things are going.
Bigtimer called me today and want me to drop a note in on this thread. He had an emergency entry in to the hospital and was just released today but is not ready to get on the board.

Standby - I expect him back soon.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey BT get better!

JW
Old 02-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

glad to hear things are OK with him. thanks for letting us know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.