Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
WOW! Oh my my!!!! >

WOW! Oh my my!!!!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

WOW! Oh my my!!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default WOW! Oh my my!!!!

The fellow who lives next door stops over and talks to me when i'm in my loading room. After hunting season he says he would like to have a bunch of 25-06 cases loaded? I told him if he gets the dies and supplies i'll show him how to do it with my press and tools. I got him what he needed. I ask when he wants to get started? He says his friend,whom owns a big farm[posted ground] will load them for him?
I said fine,has he been loading long? No,he just started,he says. Well,i'll come out and give him some pointers,i offered.
He doesn't need any help,he's a very smart guy,he says!! OK by me. I guess he knows whats up?
I copied the Speer loading data for him for 120 grain 25-06 on my copy machine. It had the powders and COL printed right there????
The guy loaded his shells and fired a few. He says to this guy"They shoot very well,a little tight fitting,but accurate".
Come spring here he comes over with his gun? "My bolt is hard to close" he says. He brought a few shells his friend had loaded. I tried to get ths bolt shut on one or two of them and it was pretty tuff!!!
The COL,i checked them,was way to long and pushing the bullet into the rifleing!!! I told him to get them set back by his buddy.
His bolt screeches when it closes,now????????
Now,for the "WOW,OH MY MY!" Some how,his buddy,weighted the powder charges,in the brass on a digital scale?????????
I have not met this fellow,but from some of the stuff he tells me he says and does,is an arogant person,a no it all.
I am haveing second thoughts on going to the range with my guy next door!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Someone is going to get their face blown off.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

Wow! Oh my my! Is right!
Old 07-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, you don't want to be there when the shrapnel starts flying.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm an arrogant person (anybody surprised) - if he's weighing charges the way you described, and loading COAL's without referencing the book or the rifle itself, that's not just an arrogant person, that's an IGNORANT person!

Gonna be calling your neighbor "Patch" or "Stubby" sooner or later, or worse, calling his wife "widow"...
Old 07-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would advise your friend NOT to fire any more of that ammo if he values his life. tell him you're not being sarcastic, just stating a fact. His rifle is absorbing far more pressure than it should be and is going to break loose sooner or later.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

That's crazy and is going to get someone hurt or worse. I hope he talks to the guy loading these for him
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't get close to either one of them if they had a gun in their hands!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a random thought - when the non-reloading neighbor said "the guy weighed the powder in the brass on a digital scale," could he have been mis-repeating what the guy that loaded for him had said?

Because, technically, I do weigh every charge that I throw "in the brass, on the digital scale." BUT - the important distinction is that I only do so after the round is loaded as a double check - I use a digital powder dispenser to throw the charges, followed by a check of every charge on a balance beam. I weight sort my bullets, and my brass too. The last step before my rounds go in the box is to run them all across the digital scale one last time to make sure I don't have any double throws.

So... If the guy told him, "I double check for double powder charges by weighing the loaded rounds when I"m done" or said "I double check my charge weights before I seat bullets by weighing the powder-charged brass," - either of which would be a reasonable reloading practice and safety measure... BUT, the non-reloading neighbor, not knowing the proper steps and not understanding what he really said, might have misunderstood him and thought he said "he weighed the powder in the brass on a digital scale."

Or... What if the guy is using a Lee turret press with Pro-disc powder auto-charger that throws the charge automatically, then takes each round out of the press and double checks the weight "in the brass, on a digital scale"? Perfectly reasonable reloading practice to do so, I've even done so myself. If a guy zeroes the scale on the brass, puts it in the press and charges, then reweighs it on the scale, it might slow him down a little, but that'd be a very reasonable reloading practice for safety - greater safety than for which the Turret Press with Auto-charger was designed.

There are lots of stupid folks out there, but I'm having a tough time understanding how a guy could throw charges into a case as he was weighing them out. What do you do when you go 0.1grn over? Throw out the whole charge and start over? It doesn't make sense how you would physically even do that, but any of the scenarios I described above COULD make sense, and might translate to the non-reloading neighbor as something different.

Hard closing bolts can be a factor of rifling jam or of insufficient shoulder bump-back. That's no excuse for not matching ammo to chamber, but if he's reloading to a book COAL and not bumping far enough back because he doesn't own the physical rifle, and the neighbor's rifle's chamber is relatively short, it's pretty easy for new reloaders to make that mistake.

Still not a great idea, but I just can't figure out how in the he11 someone would dispense into brass on a digital scale, so I'm really hoping the neighbor's description isn't accurate.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 07-28-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:46 PM
Typical Buck

I've wanted to meet this guy but my neighbor seems like he doesn't want me to tell the guy he isn't doing things right!!!!!!
I hope nothing happens to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.