Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New .243

Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default New .243

So I loaded up some rounds for my new X-bolt. Had some IMR 4831 and Barnes 85gr TSX and Sierra Game Kings 100gr. At 100yrds I was not pleased with the Barnes bullets so far. I went from 41 to 45 grains in 1/2 grain increments. Best group I could manage with that powder bullet combo was .87" worst was 1.57". The Sierras was complete opposite. I started at 37.5 and went up to 43 grains in 1/2 grain increments. They all shot between .51" and .95" groups except one. At 40.5 grains I shot a 3 shot group that was .39. I don't know if it was luck but next trip to the range I am going to try that load 1 more time. I am more than happy with that group. I have some 90gr accubonds and 100gr partitions I also want to try. Hopefully I will decide on a load before Novembers deer season.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't rule out trying the 100 grain Hornady Interlocks. My Sako loves them and they are great for antelope and deer! I'm also using IMR 4064, as that is an excellent powder for the .243.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Barnes' like to leap!

What bullet jump were you using? I had similarly disappointing results in my first foray into the Barnes bullets, but found out after the fact that they like a lot more bullet jump to the lands than other bullets. Might be something to play with.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
What bullet jump were you using? I had similarly disappointing results in my first foray into the Barnes bullets, but found out after the fact that they like a lot more bullet jump to the lands than other bullets. Might be something to play with.
I used my Hornady oal tool to measure. I talked to one of my friends about it. He said try seating it deeper if i really want to use that bullet. He also said load 9 more Sierra's with the 40.5gr of powder. If it groups that good again stick with that load. I still have the nosler bullets to try also so not sure how involved I want to get with one bullet.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Sierra Game Kings are excellent bullets for whitetail out of a .243. Too many people nowadays think you need friggin armor piercing monolithic rounds to kill a scraggly little old deer. If those Sierra's shoot accurately out of that rifle then stick on them. I personally like Hornady Interlocks and Interbonds myself and most all of my rifles seem to agree with me. But the Game Kings are more than sufficient.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

All I use in my 243 is Serra 85gr. HPBT game kings. It didn't like IMR 4831 either. IMR 4064 and IMR 4350 worked equally well.

Al
Old 07-07-2015, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
I used my Hornady oal tool to measure. I talked to one of my friends about it. He said try seating it deeper if i really want to use that bullet. He also said load 9 more Sierra's with the 40.5gr of powder. If it groups that good again stick with that load. I still have the nosler bullets to try also so not sure how involved I want to get with one bullet.
The Hornady OAL gauge is nearly worthless unless you are making the appropriate corrections for your once fired cases vs. the modified case or unless you are using their bullet and headspace comparators in league with your measurements. I say "nearly" with the intention of being generous. I'm at the airport right now, I can elaborate more tomorrow when I'm back "in the office."

I can relate to what you said about digging too deep into the Barnes bullet, when you clearly have other options that shoot well. The cost on the Barnes mono metals is what kills them for me, but if a guy treats them well, they've definitely proven that they can be incredibly accurate.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
The Sierra Game Kings are excellent bullets for whitetail out of a .243. Too many people nowadays think you need friggin armor piercing monolithic rounds to kill a scraggly little old deer. If those Sierra's shoot accurately out of that rifle then stick on them. I personally like Hornady Interlocks and Interbonds myself and most all of my rifles seem to agree with me. But the Game Kings are more than sufficient.
Agreed. I have a 243 that loves 100 Game Kings over 4064 or Varget. Deer die when hit with that combo.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Don't rule out trying the 100 grain Hornady Interlocks. My Sako loves them and they are great for antelope and deer! I'm also using IMR 4064, as that is an excellent powder for the .243.
Ditto on the Hornadys. My favorite load for my .243 is 40.5 gr of IMR4350 and CCI200 primer under a Hornady 100 gr Interlock bullet. That load has dropped more deer DRT than I can remember.