Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading start up >

Reloading start up

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading start up

Old 01-31-2015, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like pictures of the targets way easier to store on a flash drive.
That is a great idea! Thanks Alleyyooper!
Old 02-03-2015, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself a RCBS rockchucker and have at it. Reloading is very relaxing for me, and it does cut the cost considerably. You can tailor the load to your rifles, and have the satisfaction of knowing what you are shooting.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:12 AM
Spike

Along the lines of RobertSubnet's suggestion for keeping notes , I don't mix my brass. I group my brass into lots and track each time I've loaded it. My personal goal is to not exceed 5 shots out of a piece of brass. First, because not all pieces of brass are constructed the same internally. Second, I always trim and full length size my initial loading. The next four loadings are neck sized. After five shots of out a single piece of brass, it usually
Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

I would do a single press like RCBS. I have just started this process about 2 years ago. Stay away from from auto powder dispenser from RCBS, it's junk. I use it like a regular digital scale. I load for 3 calibers and the press is great and just right. I enjoy every minute of reloading and along the way you will find out more. I wish I found out about the bullet comparator earlier, that tool is way easier measure seating depth, than tip. But stick to the basics and you'll see the difference.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My reloading time is in the winter. Cold blustery days when you don't want to be out side is the time to set down and run the press, punch out ALL the spent primers put the brass in a wash, rinse and dry hang in the wood burning furnace room to dry. Put the washed dry brass in the tumbler , weigh the powder and press the bullet in place and move on to the next caliber.

I reload for 38 Special 357 Mag, 30-30, 32 Winchester special, 220 swift, 243, 7mm08, 308, 300 Winchester mag, 410, 20ga, and 12 ga.

I find it very enjoyable and relaxing. Noting like harvesting game with a load you made up.

Al
Old 04-03-2015, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been reloading since my teens, so something like 35 years. My original motivation was to save money and "build better ammo". I don't know that I shot enough back then to really make my equipment pay for itself, and my novice's understanding didn't produce better ammo then, either. Sure, I was sending better bullets downrange, but to less effect because I really didn't know what I was doing yet. I chrono'ed some of those early loads a couple of years ago and found extreme spreads of over 300 fps. Live and learn.

Having now accumulated a host of tools and knowledge since then, I'm reluctant to say that I reload to "save money". I've learned how to build high performance, accurate ammo tailored to my rifles and my uses, and am somewhat insulated from the craziness that finds its way to the ammo shelf at the retailers. There's some wisdome in the previos description of reloading being a hobby within a hobby.

Years ago, I started shooting a LOT of trap and bought a single stage MEC press on sale for $249. Shotshells are about as simple as you can get. Ultimately, I found that I was saving $0.51 per box of 25. So, it took 489 boxes, or 12,225 rounds, to pay for that press. Not included were the benefits of having something indoors to occupy my time over the winter and not having to worry about the retailers being out of stock.

Saving money? Realistically you probably won't, depending on what and how many cartridges you're reloading. Better ammo? You CAN, with some practice and knowledge. Neither are guaranteed, though. What you may learn along the way about reloading AND your shooting skills is priceless.