Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Hornady bullets!!!! >

Hornady bullets!!!!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Hornady bullets!!!!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

The GMX is a mono-metal bullet similar to the Barnes offerings. It is made using a slightly different metal that is a bit harder than the pure copper Barnes so it might leave less copper fouling in your barrel.

If you do choose a mono-metal bullet you will need a relatively high impact velocity to insure good expansion. You might wish to use a lighter mono-metal bullet (less than 140 grains) fired at higher velocity, or just stick to a time tested traditional bullet in a more normal weight of 140 grains.

I am trying some GMX bullets now. They shoot well at the range and leave an easily cleaned barrel, but I have yet to use them on game.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with using an all copper bullet on deer...the ammo you use is the least expensive component when talking about hunting and rifles. Is it needed for deer, nope. Not unless you live in an area where lead bullets are banned.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

There's no law against shooting elk bullets at deer. The deer die just as advertised. They just make a few more tracks after the shot before they fall.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Valentine
newbies have to spend their money on. Didn't you hear!!!!
Why no deer was ever shot in the 20th Century. And in their minds, what can ever beat the latest and the greatest.

Since those deer started wearing protection armor, the bullet armament for newbies has certainly gone up.
I have shot the ole plain Jane Remington core lokts for years. Done the job. I just wanted some info on what the gmx bullets where? Not entertaining the idea of them. Just don't know anything about them
Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by duckslayer82
I have shot the ole plain Jane Remington core lokts for years. Done the job. I just wanted some info on what the gmx bullets where? Not entertaining the idea of them. Just don't know anything about them
Unless you are shooting something like an elk, moose, bear, or hogs. I wouldn't even touch the GMX or Barnes for deer. Those bullets are meant for the most penetration you can get with the highest weight retention. Granted I know a lot of deer have been harvested with them but I know a few cartridges that the bullet hardly expanded on the deer and just left pin size holes and didn't really do anything to the insides. Being in GA you are fine with what you use now. Why fix something if it isn't broke? Stay with the tried and true that has worked for you.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

What ^ he and most others said! All I use is Hornady Interlocks unless I go for elk and then I move up to their Interbond.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:33 AM
Spike

I would go with the A MAX as heavy and fast as you can fly them, in any gun. Put it in the engine room and hope it comes totally apart. If it goes clear through your target you have lost a lot of energy your target will not have to absorb. If you can't put it in the boiler room, don't take the shot. If you do you will have success.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Is some kind of a of wonder grand daddy every got a deer in his life with a wood stock rifle in 30-30 and plain old core lock bullets. Then to add insult to injury got a lighter Winchester Model 94 in 32 Winchester special and used that same old core lock tecnoglagey bullet.

Al
Old 02-21-2015, 03:03 AM
Spike

Has anyone seen a big price jump in bullet's
The last box of hornady interlock 35 cal. 200 gr.
Were 38.95 the same box now 51.95. Is it just my LGS.
Or did everything jump?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by newcomb
Has anyone seen a big price jump in bullet's
The last box of hornady interlock 35 cal. 200 gr.
Were 38.95 the same box now 51.95. Is it just my LGS.
Or did everything jump?
Must just be your shop. Check prices online. Easy peasy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.