Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Sierra Gameking bullets >

Sierra Gameking bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sierra Gameking bullets

Old 10-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Sierra Gameking bullets

Can anybody give me a little info on Sierra gameking bullets. like how they worked for you on deer. I had a post on accubonds and Barnes for my 7mm08 on here and got alot of good info.Received a reloading catalog in the mail and has the sierra bullets in it. Got me curious. Any info will help thanks.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

sierra's are normaly a bit tougher than speer and hornadys and the like so they don't expand quite as well.
RR
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
sierra's are normaly a bit tougher than speer and hornadys and the like so they don't expand quite as well.
RR
OK thanks for the info. I seen the speer bullets in there too. Never heard of them. I hunt here in Georgia and most of my shots are inside of 100 yrd and longest wld be 150 so wasn't sure if it was a good choice
Old 10-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend the 120 nosler ballistic tip, or the 120 gr hornady spire point, or if its available a 120 gr hornady SST, all great bullets for average sized whitetails at the velocities of the 7mm/08, the sst will expand a bit more but won't be overly destructive, I would stay off heavy bone when possible at very short range.
RR
Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

I've used 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets for over 30 years in my .257 Ackley for a variety of game from prairie dogs to elk. This has been my primary rifle and bullet combination for mule and whitetail deer and pronghorn antelope, but I have also used them on a number of bighorn and Dall sheep hunts.

I also had good performance with 180 grain GameKing bullets from a .30-06 on quite a few elk.

These bullets produced good internal wound channels, and most of the bullets completely passed through most of the animals up through the size of caribou.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I've used the 140gr. HPBT game kings in my 7mm08 with good results. I switched to Hornady 120gr. when I got a great deal on several thousand and they tested fine in my rifles.
I still use the 85gr. HPBT in my 243 with great results on deer, coyotes, whistle pigs and stuff in between.

Al
Old 10-20-2014, 06:27 AM
Spike

Maybe this will help some BC I forgot to mention. Shots will be 150 yrds and closer
Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

"Back in the day" when I began hunting (1985), that was just the beginning of the "premium ammo" offerings by the big ammo makers. After a year of CoreLokts and Winnies I bought a box of 165 Sierra boattails by Federal Premium for my 30-06. They were scary accurate and honestly I never lost an animal with them. I also shot a buck once at less than 10yds right up the wazoo "TX heartshot" as I stalked/snuck quietly into a sage clearing inside a pine thicket. It was FULL of deer and that lil buck was the first buck I saw so he got the crosshairs. He fell so quick I never saw him drop. The bullet didn't exit but the deer didn't take a step so you can't argue it didn't do its job!

Then a year or so later they offered the Nosler Partition and I went to those, with similar results. Then I guess within the next year or two (by the end of the 80s) I began handloading so I played with alot of different bullets and used them on deer across the 3 states I regularly hunted (TN, MS & MO). By the mid-90s I was sold on the Barnes X-bullets and have rarely strayed since. But that's not to say the Sierra's aren't great bullets. They've always been known as scary accurate and short of full length penetration shots, they'll likely reach the boiler room of most deer at most sane distances and they are usually easy to find and not as pricey as other premium bullets.

Like most other cup & core types, just keep with the heavier offerings if you are going to be firing them at top velocities and you should be ok. I'd not recommend the 150grn cup & cores for 30-06 or faster 30s on deer but I likewise realize MILLIONS of deer have been killed by such a combo. (You CAN drop down in weight, even to 130s when you start talking about prems like Xbullets, Bitterroots, Accubonds etc...) In your 7-08 the 140 would be ok and the 150 even better IMHO.

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-20-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't speak for the gamekings because I've never used them. On the other hand I've shot the Sierra flat base Pro Hunter spritzers and the Speer Hot Cor spitzers for many years with great results on deer. My favorite two bullets for my 25.06 are the Sierra 117gr PH and the Speer 120gr Hot Cor. Both these bullets are very accurate in my rifle and their on game performance has been excellent for me. My daughter shoots the Sierra 120gr PH in her 260 and my son shoots the 150gr in his .308 with equal results.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've used Sierra Game Kings successfully for years out of my 30-06. I use the 180 grain version and have killed several whitetail and just last week used them on a bull moose. These bullets have never failed me and consider them a very good and accurate design for any NA game animal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.