Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Problems loading 7x57 >

Problems loading 7x57

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Problems loading 7x57

Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Problems loading 7x57

I'd like to work up a load for my M77 tang safety 7x57 and have a mix of Sellier & Bellot and Federal brass. The problem I'm having is that the S&B brass will not fit in the #2 Lee shell holder like the Federal, the rim is too wide. I've got a couple of other shell holders that the rim will fit in but neither hold the brass tight, there is a lot of end play. I don't want to start loading a bunch of rounds only to find that the headspace is wrong, or pull of rims as I'm pulling them out of the dies. Any suggestions?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

get new brass, if its too big for the shellholder you could file it down to fit, but its probably not worth the trouble.
RR
Old 09-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
get new brass...
RR
That is what I would do. I have seen some odd things with S&B brass (flash hole sizes, etc.).
Old 09-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely get new brass.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

You could try an RCBS #2. It is used for 6.5x55 brass that is slightly larger in the rim.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bpd1982
You could try an RCBS #2. It is used for 6.5x55 brass that is slightly larger in the rim.
Like trying a RCBS #2, the Lee shell holder is their #3.

When ever I've encountered your problem with a rim I've often used my bench belt sander to deal with the problem.....a quick rotation of the brass rim on the belt does the trick for me.

Have reloaded 7x57 mauser for a number of years now.....one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Don't think I've ever used any Seller&Bellot brass before or their ammo for that matter. Personally, I use a lot of Prvi Partizan brass for reloading. Its decent stuff and reasonably priced at Grafs and Sons.

Last edited by huffmanite; 10-29-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

IIRC there is a rimmed version of the 7x57, are they headstamped "7x57R"?
RR