Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Trouble with hand primer >

Trouble with hand primer

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Trouble with hand primer

Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wayspr
Can someone please exlain to me how to ignore someone? We have at least one member that thinks it's his responsility to talk down to everyone.
PM sent explaining how. Have a good day and sorry my question and explanation wasn't to your satisfaction!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Hook
I just started reloading about a month ago. My hand primer got stuck today. I couldn't get it going. The pin that pushes the primer home got stuck in the "all the way up" position. I worked with for an hour..finally called the manufacturer...gonna send it back? it is a hornady."......hoping someone maybe had through a similar experience, could offer some suggestion as to what I had done wrong. The plastic round primer holder was stuck...I could not get it in the down position to take the hand primer apart? The hand primer worked fine during the first two sessions.
Now we're getting somewhere with that edit and I sincerely hope that someone can help you take care of the problem. Did you get any advice from the Hornady people when you called them because IMHO they are a good company that stands behind their products? All I use is Hornady BTSPs for the three calibers I reload for and they have all been great for accuracy and terminal performance. I prime off my RCBS press, but I would bet that someone here can help you now with the added information you gave about your hand press. Good luck and be safe in your endeavors!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-22-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can someone please exlain to me how to ignore someone? We have at least one member that thinks it's his responsility to talk down to everyone.
Left side of screen under User CP, then down to edit ignore list.

It helps, but only if you Log On. If you just visit the site without Logging On you will unfortunately see their posts.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like everyone else suggested - If you can't get it working send it back. (first ask if there will be a charge to repair it).
If there is a charge I would look into the RCBS hand primer. I've used mine for years without any problems.
I do have one thought though. Were you trying to use large primers (rifle or pistol) but using the small primer accessories? Could be you have a primer stuck in your hand primer. Just guessing and throwing out ideas.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, such a simple question, such a wrong turn at Albuquerque...

Which Hornady hand primer do you have? Does the end of your handle move towards the top of the primer, or towards the bottom?

I would tend to assume that you have the large primer seater stuck in a small primer tray, but that may not be the case, since your post sort of implies that it did work at some point.

With the handle that moves towards the top, you should be able to remove the link follower and use a wooden dowel or brass rod to drive the primer seater out of the tray.

With the handle that moves towards the bottom, it should work the same, but it's a little more difficult to disassemble in that way.

Next time you get it disassembled, drop the primer seating pistons into the housing and let them travel the full ROM without handles or springs assembled. Feel your way around whether it has a burr or an oversized diameter that might be causing your hang up.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Spike

Hornady replaced the priming tool.... I am back in business. Thanks to ALL who commented...
Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

I use a lee hand primer tool. never used it to prime small primers. mostly large rifle cases. never had any problems with it. glad to hear that you got your primer tool fixed.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. The guy is new to hand loading. Cut him some slack. Didn't he say in his post it is a Hornady ?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Landngroove
I agree. The guy is new to hand loading. Cut him some slack. Didn't he say in his post it is a Hornady ?
Why bring this thread back up after a month just to post that comment? FYI the initial post until he did what was asked and added over 1/2 of what is now showing did not even say the primer was a Hornady or what the actual problem was! Please look at the date and time he made his edit AFTER the comment you have quoted and don't try and stir up trouble when you don't know what the whole situation you commented on was! Thank you!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Boo Hoo Hoo, I'm a baaaad boy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.