Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
+P .45 Colt load data using cast bullets? >

+P .45 Colt load data using cast bullets?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

+P .45 Colt load data using cast bullets?

Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

Default +P .45 Colt load data using cast bullets?

Can't seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere.
I want to load 250gr. RNFP .452 cast bullets in my .45 Redhawk. I want to achieve 1200 fps or more and can't find load data for anything close. The bullets are commercially made, not home growns.
Can I substitute any .250gr data for .45C +P to use a cast bullet?
I've loaded lots of Hornady XTP's in 240 & 250 with much success. But I want to try cast 'cause the price is so much lower . . .
Also heard from several sources that I will have a more accurate load with cast bullets.

Last edited by dig4gold; 08-03-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Lyman's #4 cast bullet handbook. It's a good one to have. Cast bullets generally have a maximum charge (in the books) somewhat similar to jacketed bullets' starting charge. However, with bullets of proper size, hardness, and lubrication, it'd be reasonable to start pushing into jacketed data. Commercial casters usually offer a BHN (Brinell hardness number) for their products, and from what I've seen they tend to sell fairly hard bullets that oughta handle pressure. Before you order, I'd clean your bore to bare metal, oil it up and slug it with an egg sinker...you want to get bullets about a thousandth over groove diameter to avoid leading.