Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco >

Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco

Old 08-24-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco

Does any one have a Swift Reloading Book that they would be willing to look up some date for me? I want to try some of the Scirocco' s but don' t have any min/max info. I will be loading the 130 grain in a 270 with IMR 3831 and the 210 grain in a 338 RUM with Reloader 22. I would really like to see how these shoot before I go buy the book. I would really appreciate it if some one would post the data here.

Thanks a million!!
Old 08-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco

I' m not sure Swift has a reloading book. I would use the 130 grain swift bullet loaded just like any other 130 grain bullet in your .270 and the 210 grain swift should be loaded just like any other 210 grain bullet in the .338.

Always back off 5% and work back again.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:48 PM
bigcountry

Wrong, the scirroco bullets has much thicker jacket than a " regular" 130gr bullet. I have saw pressure signs 2grs lower than regular bullets and 3gr below the max in my 300RUM. I will try to look it up when I get home tonight.

You really have to be careful with bullets like the Scrirroco, failsafe, barnes, and trophy bonded, they will build pressure much quicker than bullets like Sierra gamekings, Nosler partitions and bullistic tips, and hornady SST' s.

Old 08-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigCountry.....I' ve used Swift A-frames under these rules for several years..... and Scirocco too.

I' ve not encountered a problem of any kink yet.

Can you tell me more about specific incidents??
Old 08-27-2003, 08:06 PM

On Swifts website they do have a reloading book for sale, but I would like to try them out before I buy the book though. They don' t show any reloading on the web though. Thanks for looking it up for me BC. Depending on what you find I may just have to give them a call and see what I can get out of them.

Thanks
Dale
Old 08-28-2003, 07:08 AM
bigcountry

Shoot, I forgot last night. Sorry.

Yep, here' s the story. Before swift came out with the reloading book. I had a great load of 94.5gr of H1000 with 180 Nosler Partitions for my 300RUM with around 3200fps. So I tried 180gr Swift Scirrocos same load. Very stupid. Had a very sticky bolt lift and velocity was 3300fps. I went on accurate reloading forums, and found the information why. Another incident, was I had a nice load for 180gr Sierra Gameking for my 300RUM with 89gr of Re22. No pressure signs all the way up to 92gr Re22, but accuracy was best at 89gr. So I worked up loads for Trophy bonded. Started at 84gr. I didn' t have my chrono working that day. So I shot up to 88gr, and the brass was stuck in my chamber. Had to beat it out. No warning or anything. If I had my chrono, I could have had some indication about it.

Now for A-frames, I have been able to kinda follow the rules for other bullets like Sierra, Nosler and Hornady.

Go to Accurate Reloading and do a search for Scirrocos. Or ask about increasing pressure and copper fouling with these bullets.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Spike

Need some help... I am very new to reloading, and I am working on trying to make a load for my Remington 700 300 Ultra Mag. Going on an Elk trip in October, and I am looking for a good load. I have read about the different kind of bullets, and I am not quite sure what would be a good one to use. Any Help?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by batman0809
Need some help... I am very new to reloading, and I am working on trying to make a load for my Remington 700 300 Ultra Mag. Going on an Elk trip in October, and I am looking for a good load. I have read about the different kind of bullets, and I am not quite sure what would be a good one to use. Any Help?
For the higher velocities of the ultra mag I'd look to two bullets and use a 200 grain bullet in the Northfork or the Swift A-Frame.

I've used both on African plains game in a .300 H&H with great success and recommend both highly. They are a tad spendy but worth the extra IMO.

I've had no problems at all working up a load for either of these bullets using regular cup and core data from Hodgdons or Hornady loading data assuming we always start low and work up which we should be doing anyway! IIRC Northfork recommends starting 8% under max but so far I've always worked back to max loads without incident!

I'd not recommend any standard cup and core bullet in the ultramag (or any magnum for that matter) but would much prefer a bonded bullet of some type and the Northforks and A-Frames are "stand out" bullets that will not come apart at the higher velocities.

I've used Barnes a bit lately and that bullet has promise at the higher velocities but to date I've only range tested them and not actually killed anything with them. Others have high praise for them.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DaleW
Does any one have a Swift Reloading Book that they would be willing to look up some date for me? I want to try some of the Scirocco' s but don' t have any min/max info. I will be loading the 130 grain in a 270 with IMR 3831 and the 210 grain in a 338 RUM with Reloader 22. I would really like to see how these shoot before I go buy the book. I would really appreciate it if some one would post the data here.

Thanks a million!!
Dale I own the manual.

130 grain Scirocco / 270 Winchester

Case - Federal
Primer Federal 210
Barrel Length - 24"
Barrel Twist - 1:10

IMR 4831 - Starting charge 52.1 / velocity 2911 fps - Max 56.0 / velocity 3133 fps

For the 338 Remington Ultra Mag there is no load data for the Scirocco bullet for this cartridge. They only list data for the A-Frame bullet in 225,250, & 275 grain weight.

If you decide to use the A-Frame instead let me know.

Bill

Just noticed this freakin thread is 7 years old. What a dumass!!!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 08-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7MMXBOLT
Dale I own the manual.

130 grain Scirocco / 270 Winchester

Case - Federal
Primer Federal 210
Barrel Length - 24"
Barrel Twist - 1:10

IMR 4831 - Starting charge 52.1 / velocity 2911 fps - Max 56.0 / velocity 3133 fps

For the 338 Remington Ultra Mag there is no load data for the Scirocco bullet for this cartridge. They only list data for the A-Frame bullet in 225,250, & 275 grain weight.

If you decide to use the A-Frame instead let me know.

Bill

Just noticed this freakin thread is 7 years old. What a dumass!!!
7MMXBOLT, you wouldnt happen to have some date for the 300 RUM 180 Grain Swift Scirocco II would you?

Quick Reply: Swift Reloading Data for Scirocco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.