Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Newbie here

Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Spike

Default Newbie here

Just got the hunting fever this last year and after some experience I would like to invest in reloading for my 30-06 for the new season. I don't have any other caliber and my main reason for this is to make some hot coyote loads, and it sounds like an interesting hobby I can pick up in my free time.

I understand the basics of reloading but I am no expert by any means. With this in mind I am not looking for a setup with all the bells and whistles, just something to make some darn ammo. Would you guys recommend a kit of some sort or any piece/tool I should invest in that would make this tedious task much more enjoyable? Wondering if a kit is a cheaper route then buying everything individually? One of the kits I have in mind is the Lee 50th aniv. reloading kit (~$140). Which seems like a very good price to get me started. Another kit that looks enticing is the Hornady lock-n-load classic kit (~$250), seems reasonable for the extra gear that comes with it.

Would like to stick to a single stage press btw. Nothing fancy.

Keep in mind I have nothing as of right now, only knowledge (:
Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried the many loading presses available, and settled on the RCBS rockchucker. I use a digital power scale.. A RCBS 505 beam scale will work well for you. I have one of them as a backup. You will need a case trimmer, and I prefer the Forster. There are many attatchments available for it. For dies, I use RCBS or redding. You will need a caliper to measure case length, and as many loading manuals as you can get. Read them. It will also help if you know someone that loads, as you can watch and learn. The Rockchucker kit comes with pretty well everything that you need, and it's warranty is forever. I have been loading for over 40 years, and love it. Tried the Lee and don't like it at all. I use magnum primers in everything from 25 06 to 458 Win mag. I found WLRM primers to be very consistant, and will never change that component. The fun will start once you roll your first batch and head to the range for accuracy testing. The spray lubes are better than sliced bread. Lube pads suck. Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions. When working with explosives, there is no stupid question.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Read this post I just made to another newbie yesterday and I suggest you do exactly the same thing for about as inexpensive as you can get started reloading with good equipment. The shell holder for your 30-06 is the same as the one for the 25-06 and Cabelas also has the RCBS 30-06 dies, so you can get started for less than $300 too. You have the month of December to get this equipment at the best prices you will find anywhere! Go onto the Cabelas website and buy the following RCBS stuff that is all on sale right now and they have free shipping through the end of December as well and RCBS has a $50 rebate for items you purchase that total $300 or more. Order the kit mentioned above in posts #2 and #3 for $279.99. They also have RCBS die sets for the 25-06 on sale for $31.99 and you will need the RCBS Universal Shell Holder #3 that is $8.99. That totals $320.97 and you can get $50 of that back by sending in the RCBS rebate coupons you print out on your computer. That will get you started and you can buy your components (brass, powder, and primers) from a local dealer near you to save on the HAZMATshipping fees that are ridiculous when added to regular shipping fees. That gets you started for under $300 and you can buy your case trimmer and a few other items as you need them since trimming shouldn't be necessary until each case is shot a number of times and then exceeds the max in the books. The kit comes with a good reloading manual and the more you read BEFORE you start the better off you will be. The main thing is to be patient, go slow ina quiet area where there are no distractions, and don't do anything you have questions about until they are all answered and you know you are doing things correctly. I was given almost all my equipment by an older friend who quit reloading and with a little training and lots of reading I'm really enjoying reloading for my 3 30-06s, a .243, and a 25-06. Good luck!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

topgun is right, rcbs is one of the best in the business and NOW is the best time to buy. I have used a few lee tools and didnt like them at all. Reloading is one of those things that you get what you pay for and lee is cheap made imo. Rifle reloading is relatively simple but you do need to take safety first and make sure you take your time and do it in an enviroment with no distractions. Good luck and have fun.