Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Best 243 bullet for deer >

Best 243 bullet for deer

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Best 243 bullet for deer

Old 09-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I used a .243 for years on deer and shot a good many with Hornady's old reliable 100 gr Interlock bullet. And all but one was DRT. Of course back then the Barnes weren't yet made. Today I MIGHT try the Barnes bullet but then again, why fix what isn't broke!
X3, Hornadys are the way to go. I would steer clear of the Barnes personaly, I never saw the need for a high dollar premium bullet in a .243. It amazes me that people were able to kill anything years ago before the magnum cartridges and Barnes bullets. Remington Core Lokt, Hornady Interlock, Speer Hot-Core, Nosler Balistc Tips, and Sierra Pro Hunters (I dont like Game Kings, there boat tail bullets do have a tendancy to shed their jackets) have been reliably killing game for years at less than half the price of Barnes. In my opinion Barnes TSX's are overpriced and do not provide reliable, consistent expansion.

Last edited by fritz1; 09-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fritz1
It amazes me that people were able to kill anything years ago before the magnum cartridges and Barnes bullets.
You're not alone Fritz. You're not alone....... +1
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Okie2,
Less than 80 grains of a bullet to stop a deer with minimal meat damage?

Hummm! It sounds like to me you are one of them there speed demons who wants a trajectory similar to a frozen rope and can only get it with a light bullet. It has been my experience that small bullets driven fast usually disintegrate on impact causing a whole bunch of blood shot meat. The next question is which deer? Small eastern deer can be stopped with any bullet a .243 can spit out. Heck, for eastern deer (like here in Virginia) I shoot whatever Winchester or Remington packs in their Walmart ammo boxes. I believe they are 100 grain PowerPoints or Corelokts???? For western deer like where I grew up in Colorado or dall sheep there in the Wrangells when I lived in Alaska, I would roll a 100 grain Speer Grand Slam!

Good luck and be safe!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shooting, but then I'm old

If you shoot it in the right place, the deer will go down. And if you're not a butcher, how would you know anything about meat damage. Ever skin a deer of its hide?

The difference between bullets of different calibers is small, if you put two different deer bullets next to each other. As if the deer is suppose to know the difference.

Went through my youth, using an old slow 200 grain interlock bullet. In those swamps with a max shot of 100 yards, it was all I ever needed. And you'll learn what you need. And it isn't all of the useful calibers, used on deer, in the last fifty years.

Still reload those old slow bullets. The physique of the deer hasn't changed much. I only have to worry about my old eyes.