Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Barnes TSX Load Data >

Barnes TSX Load Data

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes TSX Load Data

Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 AM
bigcountry

Default Barnes TSX Load Data

Well, looks like barnes is going the route of lawyer proof loads.

Thier new guidelines for TSX listed on thier site is much less than even max naked X data.

When I first tried TSX, guidelines were 1-2gr over naked X in thier latest manual. And this seemed to work for me.

Anyone else notice thier weak recommendations?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, which is why I just use the data as a guideline and let the rifle tell me when the load's getting too hot. I try to look at several sources for data using the same or similar bullets for the specific powder and get a feel for the average max published load and then carefully work up slowly and carefully. Every rifle is a different animal. My 257 Wby has yet to show any pressure signs at all, and I've had it as much as 2 grains over max published loads for a couple different powders. The Ruger 22-250 I had would sometimes show pressure signs before the published max load was reached. As for the Barnes TSX's specifically, I've never had any trouble with pressures with them with any load under book published max's for same weight bullets. I think that the ribs actually make the TSX "softer" to the rifling (I don't really know how to put it) than even most cup-n-core jacketed bullets, making pressures similar or less for a given powder charge.

Disclaimer: Approach max loads with caution, and if you exceed a published max load you do so at your own risk. I am meticulously careful with my load workups and know what I'm looking for for pressure signs. Your mileage may vary.

Mike
Old 12-20-2009, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

At one time, I used to build up my loads to where I felt pressure signs, just to know. I kinda quit doing that. Figured before long, I will cause in an issue. Some modeling programs claim you are hitting 80K PSI when you have flattened primers and extremely heavy bolt lift.

I kinda have a target number I want to hit when building up a load for a rifle. For example my STW only hits 2950fps with 7828 and 160gr. I know I want to hit 3200. So moved to RL22 and RL25 and hit it with accuracy. Could I go further? Sure I could.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found this out this year. When TSX bullets first came out, the new manual was not out yet. I called Barnes and they told me that the TSX max loads were 2 grains higher than regular X bullets. Thjey also gave me some loads over the phone.

This year I was loading some rounds for my dad's 7mm Rem Mag. 140gr TSX with, I believe 70 or 72 grains of RL22. I had it written down in my older manual and on the box of shells. Later on, I checked the newest Barnes manual and saw 66 grains was their maximum load. Wow!!! What a difference!!!