Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Wolf Brass

Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wolf Brass

Well "Wolf Brass" might not be the correct title.

Now that i have the 45ACP I will begin reloading for it shortly. I have been saving my brass as usual.

Someone at the gun club keeps shooting Wolf ammo in 45ACP and never picks it up. It's not the aluminum looking brass that i see by CCI, It's more of a greenish brown looking case by Wolf. I'm not sure what type of metal it is.

Is this stuff reloadable?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe wolf is steel? Either way with the stuff they put on the case I would not reload it. The stuff is cheap for a reason.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of Wolfs ammo is steel cased, not brass, and is not reloadable. If the cases have a greenish brown finish on them then they are steel. Wolf lacquers the cases to prevent rusting, and the lacquer is that green/brown color. The best way to find out is to pass a magnet over the cases. If they are attracted to the magnet, they're steel and scrap metal. If they are brass colored and don't stick, they're brass and reloadable as long as they are Boxer primed. Most of Wolf's steel cased ammo is Berdan primed, which also makes it unreloadable (at least by conventional means).

Mike
Old 09-13-2009, 09:29 AM
bigcountry

Wolf does make some brass but most in the US does not shoot it. Don't reload the laquar or coated steel. Easy way to tell is with a magnet.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys
No wonder there was a ton of it on the ground. guess i'll just chuck it.
Thanks again
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some Wolfe 6.5X55 Swede brass and it seems to be ok. Heck, the rounds even shot pretty well, although dirty.