Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up >

Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up

Old 07-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up

Hello
Thanks in advance for any input. I'm kind of new to reloading, have been doing it just under one year and I've come across a problem that I've never experienced before.
When reloading my 30-06 brass, all of which have been picked up spent at a public shooting range, I tumble them, deprime them(with a universal depriming die), clean the primer pocket and then after using a little lube on the necks(inside and out) Irun them through the resizing, depriming RCBS die. I set the die so it just touches the shellholder in its highest position.

The last inch or so it becomes harder than normal to get the arm of the press pulled down, but I can do it. Twice when pulling the arm back up the shellholder has ripped the brass edging away from the case, leaving the case stuck in the die. Obviously the shell was pressed to hard into the die and heres my question, Why? I've probably reloaded these cases before and until this time have never experienced this problem. The problem seems to be the whole batch and not one or two cases, though some are definitely harder. I can't read the labeling on the brass once its ripped off to see what brand that particular case it was. Though it definitely is 30-06.

I have to take the stuck case to work, use the drill press to drill out the case just enough to get an easy out in and by putting the die in a vise and using a big cresent wrench remove the brass. Very carefully so as not to touch the inside of the die.

I have been reading about neck sizing only dies? Should I being using these instead of a full length die.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks
Dan
Old 07-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up

You say you're only lubing the neck area?You should lube all around the outside of the case as well except for the shoulder.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never lube the outside of the neck. Just lube the INSIDE of the neck and the case body itself. Be careful not to get lube on the shoulder of the case, or it will cause dents. Also, are you definitely sure you are trying to resize 30-06 brass? Surely you can read a manufacturer on the case headstamp...??? Is it steel or brass?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

I concentrated more on the neck and not the case body and that is probably the problem. I've not done rifle bullets for a while, usually doing handgun bullets where I don't use lube.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll not forget the case body from now on since its a pain getting the stuck brass out of the resizing die.

Thanks again
Dan
Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Simple solution:Lube each WHOLE CASE, not just the necks!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, sounds like a lube problem. I reload 30.06 as well and the only time one got stuck was when I forgot to lube.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're full length resizing you need to lube the entire case because the dies is resizing the whole thing. You only have to lube the necks if you're just neck sizing.

Mike
Old 07-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I FLS and use One Shot and lube the whole case. I spray the whole case shoulders and all and never have had a denting problem.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another really good lube is Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Just a tiny amount smeared on each case is enough and it works great. A little goes a long way. It takes a little more time than spray-on lubes, but it's not as messy and I've never had any problem with denting shoulders. I use it to neck down 7mm Rem Mag brass to 257 Wby. I did 50 cases and only lost one to a creased neck, and this was one step resizing straight into a 257 Wby FL die.

Mike
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Fork Horn

YOU MUST LUBE the entire case when full length size the case, if you don't it will get stuck every time in any cartridge.. I placed a full tube of sizing lube on a pad 35 years ago and am still using it to this day.. a roll or two across the top with a little pressure does the trick, I use moly powder on the top area both inside and out.. have never had a case stuck in 10'000's of loading...

Quick Reply: Brass getting stuck in sizing die, whats up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.