Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Barnes XLC Field Report >

Barnes XLC Field Report

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes XLC Field Report

Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Barnes XLC Field Report

Well I finally shot a buck with the 140 gr XLC's out of my 7mm Mag. It was quartering away and I hit it about 4" from the top of the back in the farthest rib back, the bullet came out on the opposite side at the farthest rib forward. The buck dropped real fast and he was done. It was about a 100 yard shot. Thier was about an 1 1/2" entrance hole and about a 1" exit, only a tiny bit of meat damage on the backstrap where a piece of rib hit it. I am pretty pleased at the XLC's performance. Now I need to fill my other tag .
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Default RE: Barnes XLC Field Report

jeepkid,

Thanks for the review. I have 2 differnt loads with barnes TSX for this year. I am very interested in how they will perform. I'll post if I am succesful
Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Ripstop, I used 100 grain TSXs at 3200 fps out of my 25-06 for deer last year. You don't have to worry about how they will perform. One of those little 100 grainers entered the front sholder of a quartering-on 145 lb. buck and lodged under the skin ofthe off-side back leg.No tracking required.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM

semisane,

I have a 25.06 with 100gr TSX, as well, that I'm taking antelope hunting next week. It is a shooter so I'm really looking forward to seeing how they perform. I also have .300WSM with 168gr TSX. Hopefully I'll get to squeeze the trigger on that one during elk season
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on getting your deer. Got any pics of the deer and/or bullet performance?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, I didn't take any pics. It was just a small forked horn, but I wish I would have taken some of the body to show the bullet performance.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Ripstop, I wouldn't hesitate to use that 25-06 with 115 grain TSXs for elk if your gun will shoot the heavier bullets (although those 168s in a 300WSM shouldput them down with authority). Mine doesn't do so well with the 115s.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM

I managed to recover a TSX bullet from the brown bear I shot last Saturday. I shot the bear twice with my .375 H&H. My bear load was a 270gr TSX bullet over a stiff charge of RL-15.

The first shot was a pass-through on both shoulders, which put the animal down. It got back up on its hind legs and thrashed around a bit, biting at its shoulder. I put a second shot into it, to anchor it to the river bank - no chasing brown bears in the dense brush for me, thank you very much!

For the second shot, the bear was on its side, facing away from me. The bullet entered behind a shoulder, near the spine. It broke several ribs on the way in, and paralleled the spine all the way to the base of the skull. The reacted to the second shot like it was hit by lightning. Lights out! The second TSX had traveled through about 3 feet of brown bear, punctured the skin to leave, but never exited. We found the bullet when skinning the animal; it just popped out and fell in my lap. A perfect X-Bullet mushroom - just like the magazine ads.

This was my first experience with Barnes bullets on game. With this kind of performance, though, I don't think it will be my last.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perfect! Thanks Dan for the report, exactly what us hunters like to see and hear about.

How do they load? Seems an all copper bullet would be long for it's weight, do you have any problems seating it deep enough to fit in the rifles magazine? And how is accuracy?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM

All copper bullets are longer for their weight, but I didn't have any troubles loading these 270 grainers in my .375 H&H. My loads fit the magazine just fine. I used a Lee Factory Crimp Die to crimp the bullet in one of the grooves. I crimp all my .375 ammo. It seems to give better accuracy

The TSX's I've shot shoot exceptionally well, which is something I didn't always hear about the first X-Bullets (which I never used). My .375 will shoot 1" or so with a variety of bullets, and the TSX's are right in there with them and have the same point of impact as the Nosler 260gr Accubonds. In my .280 Ackely, the 160 gr TSX's will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards, but I haven't had a chance to whack a game animal with them yet.

Like I said before, this is my first use of a TSX to take a game animal, but more are sure to follow....

Quick Reply: Barnes XLC Field Report

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.