Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 COL for a Semi Auto >

COL for a Semi Auto

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

COL for a Semi Auto

Old 07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default COL for a Semi Auto

Kinda curious about this with the semi auto... Do you load as long as the Mag will allow or do you still use the Stoney point gauge???
Old 07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: COL for a Semi Auto

I was always too cheap to buy the extra stoney point body fixture for semis. I used the split case method for semis just to make sure I am not jamming in the rifleing. But most semis have a long throat, and you don't have to worry about that. But its good to make sure. After that, you can play with the best OAL for accuracy like a bolt.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'm guessing your question is for your 750, although mine is a 35 Whelen I loaded mine just back from the mag with the Serria 200 RN. I'm working on a load with Accubonds right now. They are loaded just back from the mags as well.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made me one of those gauges that clamp on the cleaning rod that you can slide down the barrel and set one with the bolt closed and one with just a bullet pushed up into the lands... Then I'll measure the distence in between and get my COLI'm sure it will be longer than the Mag will allow... But at least I'll know my max distance...
Old 08-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I made me one of those gauges that clamp on the cleaning rod that you can slide down the barrel and set one with the bolt closed and one with just a bullet pushed up into the lands... Then I'll measure the distence in between and get my COLI'm sure it will be longer than the Mag will allow... But at least I'll know my max distance...
That's how I do it for my Rem 700. Then I seat my bullets back 1-1.5 thousanth's for my OCL
Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Kinda curious about this with the semi auto... Do you load as long as the Mag will allow or do you still use the Stoney point gauge???
It is generally best, from an accuracy viewpoint, to seat the bullet pretty close to the lands (but there are certainly EXCEPTIONS to this rule too!)

So seat your bullet as close to the lands as you wouild for a bolt-action, as long as the rounds fit the magazine and feed correctly.