Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Changing a load from SST to Interbond? >

Changing a load from SST to Interbond?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Changing a load from SST to Interbond?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Changing a load from SST to Interbond?

Hi Guys,
I have a 308 that I shoot 150 Hornady SSTs from. After 11 deer I finally had one not exit. I am considering switching the load to the 150 IB and was wondering how similar the bullets might be. I realize that one is an interlocked bullet and the other is bonded.

Frankly I was hoping I could seat them to the same depth.. shoot a shortseries to check pressure and then just test the group? I haven't bought the IBs yet but from all the material they look very similiar to the SSTs except the lack of cannalure.

Anyone tried something like this?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Changing a load from SST to Interbond?

I've used both and both have worked well. Personally, any time I try a new component, whether it be a new bullet, powder, case or primer, I always start my load workup from scratch.Don't assume the load that worked with the SST will also work with the IB, although it certainly might.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:14 PM

You might also consider switching to the regular 165 gr. SST. I personally haven't had any luck getting the new Interbond bullets to shoot well - tried them in .270 and .308 calibers. Regular SST's have been pretty good for accuracy so far.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:19 PM

Roskoe,
I agree that the SST has been very easy have it shoot well. The rifle in question I purchased new be a donor for a custombutI went and shot it with a thrown together load (I seated the bullets to the cannalure chose a load of 4064 that was 1 grain under max and just tried it, as I had only one morning to come up with a hunting load)and the first 5 shot group was .63 inches...so now I can't mess with the rifle. The rifle, Ruger all weather M77MKII routinely shoots under an inch.

I have also shot the same 150 SST from my 06 and its the most accurate bulletI have ever shot from it, Better than ballistic tips and Sierra BTs which where the previous accuracy winners in that rifle.

Now that I have shot 11 deer and some wet newspaper with the 150g 30 cal SSTs my quick summary is: Very accurate but a rapid expander like a ballistic tip. A good choice for a long range bullet on deer or a good general bullet from a slower cartridge. If I was going to work up a deer load 300 savage the SST would probably be the first choice. For those folks who like bang flops and don't mind not getting an exit its a good bullet to choose and its inexpensive.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think if you are that hung up on bullets exiting, your only real option is the Barnes TXS. Thats as close as you will ever get to a garenteed exit every time.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:39 AM

I shoot both the 165gr SST and the 150 IB out of my savage 30-06. I have had no accuracy issues with the IB's.
I have the 150 IB's cruizing at 3000fps @muzzle.
If I were you I would give the IB's a try. just start off below max and build from there.
I also shoot the BarnsTXC 150gr and they punch an exithole 99% of the timebut for the $$$ difference go with the IB you will be happy.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like said when changing a component your better to start lower and work up. I believe the IB is slightly longer than the SST, though I don't have any SST's to reference this to at the moment so can't confirm that notion. I used the SST for a year in lieu of the NBT and never fell in love so went back to the Nosler offering.

As far as the IB like Roskoe I todidn't get them off the bench but this year a 280 I load for shot them unbelievably tight. I deceided to try a few in my 7mm rem mag and found potential but not wanting to defer I stuck with the NBT for this year. I will say the results from the 280 rem has me thinking about putting some effort into the IB once again. It performed very nicely in the 4 deer it harvested. 2 were through the shoulders and bothexits, producedwounds that were very tolerable for the placement.The other 2 were classic rib in and out shots, I am told the vitals were jello and the deer dumped a lot of blood. If you can't get it to shoot I think the IB has real possibilities as good polymer tipped deer bullet. The Nosler AB would be another to consider, I've found it to be very accurate and so far so good on deer, elk and moose in my case. Though I still have doubts about it as a heavy slugger on larger than deer game??/
Old 12-21-2006, 01:22 PM

i have changed for that same reason. i am now with the innerbonds and youll find alot of penetration. im using 45.0gr of imr 4064, out of my 308 vls.