Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Cast Bullets in .375 H&H >

Cast Bullets in .375 H&H

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cast Bullets in .375 H&H

Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Cast Bullets in .375 H&H

Anyone ever shoot reduced velocity cast bullets in their .375 H&H? I haven't cast bullets in a long time, but I still have all the equipment. All I need is a bullet mold and a sizer die for my Lyman Lubri-Sizer. This new rifle might just be the spark that gets me back into casting bullets.

Anyone care to recommend a bullet mold/design for the .375? I am primarily interested in punching paper, not hunting.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to size my bullets to .376" for the H&H round?

Anyone use Trail Boss powder in their cast bullet rifle loads?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cast Bullets in .375 H&H

I have used the Trail Boss. I like it. It fills the case, giving better consistency(in my opinion). Have you slugged the barrel? The size of your bullet depends on your barrel, again IMO. Not necessarily the factory spec. I have never owned or loaded a 375, but I sure would like to. I can not suggest a bullet. I plugged the Cast Bullet Association Forun in another response, and now I am doing it again. Go to their forum, those guys are experts. Tom.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dan in Alaska

Anyone ever shoot reduced velocity cast bullets in their .375 H&H? I haven't cast bullets in a long time, but I still have all the equipment. All I need is a bullet mold and a sizer die for my Lyman Lubri-Sizer. This new rifle might just be the spark that gets me back into casting bullets.

Anyone care to recommend a bullet mold/design for the .375? I am primarily interested in punching paper, not hunting.

Am I correct in assuming that I need to size my bullets to .376" for the H&H round?

Anyone use Trail Boss powder in their cast bullet rifle loads?
You bet! I use the Lyman 375449, a 255-grain flatnose gascheck.38/55 bullet in mine-it is PLENTY accurate! My load uses 60 grains of H4831 with a 1-grain tuft of absorbant cotton on top of the powder to keep itagainst the back of the case for uniform ignition. WW cases, Federal 210 primers.

Mine are exactly .375", being cast from a Lyman 375449"U" (undersize) mould, and I shoot them as-cast - lubed by hand, not using a sizer/lubricator. The only thing I do is put a gascheck on them and wipe Javelina NRA-formula ALOX lube into the grooves..

From my old M70 Win, this load gave me 1870 FPS, and was a good short-range deer load in addition to being a low-recoil practice load. It had a recoil of about the same as a .30/'06.....

If you want to work up a load, I'll bet you can get some bullets from the Bull Shot in Delta Junction before buying any additional casting equipment. He will make them any diameter you want, and any hardness you want......

As to sizing diameter, the bullets nned to befrom .001" to .002" over groove diameter, in order to keep powder gases from blowing past the bullet,causing gas-cutting of the bullet shank and leading. You really need to slug your rifle's bore to determine how big the bullets need to be. My M70 had a groove of .374". I haven't slugged my Ruger 1H, but the old load shoots pertty well in it too (about 1.5" @ 50 yards......)
Old 12-10-2006, 05:30 PM

Honest question here:

Is that as good as the 375H&H can be expected? A 3MOA cartridge? Or is it the combination of lead-cast and a Ruger No. 1?