Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Bullets not seating straight 45-70 >

Bullets not seating straight 45-70

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullets not seating straight 45-70

Old 11-21-2005, 10:15 AM
bigcountry

Default Bullets not seating straight 45-70

Hey, I was looking at my 45-70 loads i Have been working on. I notice the 300gr partition I am loading that there were bigger gaps on one side than the other of the cannelure. Either the brass is not square of the bullet is not straight loading. I am rotating the brass/bullet 3 times while seating also as regular.

I took out the stem/seater plug and its made for a RN. Wonder if this makes a difference? Called RCBS, they think it is the problem and are sending me a cowboy 45-70 seater plug which they said is made for more flatnoses not roundnoses.

What does others see? Wonder if I should flair more or get an M die?

Old 11-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bullets not seating straight 45-70

I haven't had any problems with runout with any bulletsand I don't even bother to rotate the rounds as I seat the bullets.Have you experienced runout problems if you don't rotate the cartridge while seating bullets?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:03 AM
bigcountry

But correct me if I am wrong stubble, you load mostly rifle bullets with a seater plug matching the bullet give or take.

Do you load alot of cast or flatnose or 45-70, etc?

Old 11-21-2005, 11:21 AM

This is likely a seater plug issue. Are you sure you have the right shell holder? And are you seating and crimping in the same step?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:53 AM
bigcountry

Yea, RCBS said they believe wrong plug issue. Said they would modify the one I have to match Nosler Partitions for 14 dollars.

Yep right shell holder, yep, crimping and seating same step.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

bigcountry-You are correct in that I do not load flat nosed bullets.I was just wondering if you always rotatedall cartridges when loading and if you had experienced runout issues with any other bullets.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:05 PM
bigcountry

Stubble depends really on my die set, brass used, did I neck turn, or even caliber.

If I load for my 308 with norma brass and chamfer real good, nope, it doesn't matter. Neckrunnout is .004" or less. For my 300RUM, I had to cherry pick brass, neckturn and use a high dollar seater redding. About half had runnout .004" or less, 8% or so had bad bad runout, and the rest .005" to .007".

If I used a bushing die, that helped also. Also With some calibers, I had a pile of nickel brass, and that would load rough.

I know Sierra techs always get caught up with squaring the dies. maybe they got a point. I could never tell the difference.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

For lead rifle bullets with odd shaped noses, I buy a spare seater plug, grease up the nose of a bullet, put the seater plug in a vise inverted (plug facing up) fill the plug with JB Weld, push the bullet nose straight into the plug, wipe off the excess JB Weld, and allow the stuff to dry. Voila! you now have a custom seater plug that only cost you a few $s.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:39 PM
bigcountry

holy cow thats just genius. Seriously. Save alot then sending off to have done. Great idea briman.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I haven't had any problems with runout with any bulletsand I don't even bother to rotate the rounds as I seat the bullets.Have you experienced runout problems if you don't rotate the cartridge while seating bullets?
I do the rotate 3 times too, but no I cant say I've ever had runout. Heck there are quite a few things that I do in reloading that is strictly a "I do it because others/books say I should.

Quick Reply: Bullets not seating straight 45-70

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.