Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Barnes TSX Seating Depth >

Barnes TSX Seating Depth

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes TSX Seating Depth

Old 11-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Barnes TSX Seating Depth

I am a novice handloader and the free Barnes DVD suggests to seat the bullet deeper into the casing by (can't remember).. Anyhow the seating depth is significant compared to store bought ammo.

Can anybody explain why the seating depth should be deeper with Barnes TSX? Just curious because my buddy who's loaded a lot seats his bullet as far forward as possible and he claims this will improve accuracy.

Cheers.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Barnes TSX Seating Depth

Barnes bullets generally don't give as much as say a nosler BT. They are guilding copper, and will build less peak pressure if loaded back some from the rifling. Think of something shooting youthru a door, would you rather have more momentum when hitting the door?

Barnes X bullets notoriously had tough times getting the velocity some of its competitors get without pressure signs.

What I have learned over the years, is its best first to find what COL it takes for your bullet to hit the rifling, and then find out what COL will fit reliably in your mag and chamber easy. Some short action calibers in long action guns, your limiting factor may be the chamber/throat distance, but most long action calibers, your mag is the limiting factor.

For Barnes and barrel burning guns, I like to be .1" or moreaway from the rifling. For say a 7mm-08 or 308, I would want to be .05" away or more.

Trying to always be against the rifling is tough. Its the biggest mistake I see new reloaders make. Changing seating depth is one tool you can use to drop pressure or increase accuracy. I have had some guns where it likes to be seated .25" away believe it or not.

Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Barnes recommends that you seat the tsx .050" off the riflingto start with, and if accuracy is not satisfactorythen try .030" to .070".As previously stated the tsx is solid copper and in order to keep pressures down,it needs to have some momentum before it reaches the rifling.My own rifles shoot the tsx best at .050" to .100" off the rifling.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Last Saturday I shot several I loaded with different depths. I used IMR4350 (57grains) with Federal 210 primers and Federal cases. I had the best accuracy at .027. I wanted to seat at .050, but found I couldn't because of the grooves on the bullet. The deep part of the groove was right at .050 and I wasn't able to crimp the bullet in pace. Amazingly at .027 the rounds still fit in my mag and cycle with no problems. (700 BDL DM SS).

I wasn't able to shoot at 100yds becauseI was with six other guys that weren't ready to move to 100 (several had shotguns). Anyway at 50yds my five roud group had three almost in the same hole and the other two approx. 1/4" away, both in the same hole. I was shooting from a lead sled and my gun is glass bedded with trigger work.

I made up another batch and will let you knowhow it works. I was very exicited because I have never been able toget this gun to shoot very well with factory ammo.I wanted to post the targets, but mydigital cameras are in my trail cams hanging in the woods "up north" right now.

Thanks for the help you game me Stubble and big!!

P.S. By the way the 168's didn't impress my in my 300 RUM using 98, 100, and 102 of Retumbo. I had them at .050 and had better groups with factory ammo. I'm going to try some Sierrra ammo next week.

Sorry for the long post!

Cybersniper
Old 11-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wanted to seat at .050, but found I couldn't because of the grooves on the bullet. The deep part of the groove was right at .050 and I wasn't able to crimp the bullet in pace.
Try seating the bullets at .050" and forget about crimping.There is absolutely no need to crimp these loads.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

I'll try that again. It just seemed without a crimp the bullet was kind of loose and with that kind of length it didn't take much to move it in more when feeding a bullet or cycling the bolt.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 AM
bigcountry

If it is loose or you can move the bullet at all, then you have a neck tension problem with either your dies or your brass.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If it is loose or you can move the bullet at all, then you have a neck tension problem with either your dies or your brass.
Exactly and that can certainly cause accuracy issues.