logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:18 AM   #1
Fork Horn

Default Word of the Day, August 9, 2017, Jeremiah 23:1-6

Word of the Day, August 9, 2017

“ I've seen joy and I've seen pain. On my knees, I call Your name. Here's my broken Hallelujah. With nothing left to hold onto. I raise these empty hands to You. Here's my broken Hallelujah. “

Jeremiah 23:1-6

1 Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the LORD.
2 Therefore thus saith the LORD God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the LORD.
3 And I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all countries whither I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds; and they shall be fruitful and increase.
4 And I will set up shepherds over them which shall feed them: and they shall fear no more, nor be dismayed, neither shall they be lacking, saith the LORD.
5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

As we read in #word365, we are in the book of Jeremiah. Sometimes I read ahead of where we are in the reading plan. One of my favorite books in the Bible. I love to read prophecies that have come true. It just increases my faith in the Word of our LORD. Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep need to be prepared for judgment day. There is so much false prophets and preacher back then and will be even until the day of our LORD. The pastors of the days of the Old Testaments were the one responsible for Israel’s plight and GOD had decreed harsh judgment against them. Remember you are accountable to GOD if you are a leader in the church or even work. Leaders are responsible for those entrusted in them and their care.

Jeremiah told us that GOD will gather His people again and HE did. They where scattered around the world and even today are making their way back to their homeland. Jeremiah shows the difference and the contrast between the leaders of his time with the coming Messiah, the perfect King! This King would come from David’s line to reign over Israel. The King will execute judgment and justice in the earth.

The Bible often speaks of shepherds as an example of Christ. The word shepherd is the same as that translated “ pastors ” in verse 1. In contrast to Judah’s wicked pastors, GOD will provide His people a Good Shepherd. I believe the whole passage above is taken from the picture of shepherding. GOD himself, as a Good Shepherd, will gather together the scattered sheep of Israel and will give them new shepherds who will serve under the Chief Shepherd of the flock.

Peter writes in 1 Peter 5:3-4 says; “ Neither as being lords over GODs heritage, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.” As leaders, Christ has entrusted us His work to other “under shepherds” until He himself shall come again for His flock. Even Paul instructed to the Ephesian elders in shepherding in Acts 20.

I would like to go a little bit further into the chapter if you don’t mind. Please read all of chapter 23 today. How did the nation of Israel become so corrupt? A major factor was false prophecy and preaching. This is still happening today and so many people walk away from Christ and the truth of the word and make up their own religion and beliefs. Jeremiah’s message from GOD was unpopular. Is that not true today? Hollywood, cable news and even all the major networks try daily to prove that GOD does not exist. People call us crazy; Scientist (evolution/big bang theorists) and atheists do and are gaining ground everyday. Government is trying to stop and take GOD out of everything they do also.

There are four warning signs of false prophets then and today-characteristics that we need to watch for. 1. They may appear to speak GOD’s message, but they do not live according to GOD’s word. 2. They water down GOD’s message in order to make it more acceptable or palatable. 3. They encourage their listeners often subtly, to disobey GOD. 4. They tend to be arrogant and self-serving, appealing to desires of their audience instead of being true to GOD’s word. Can you think of any examples of this?
This morning I saw an article with a picture of three buildings in NYC that had the cross light up on the buildings with their office lights for a month before and after Easter in the 1950. How would that go over today? The real problem is that many people do not want to be shown, or told about Christ and that includes so-called Christians also. GOD’s Words are coming true each and everyday.

The people of Jeremiah's day would see the prophecies come true when Jerusalem fell. We will also see the prophecies come true when this world fades away from Christ. However, the one prophecy that has not yet come true is when Christ appears in the clouds to gather His people. Believe His word today. Many of His words have been fulfilled already.

Today, I encourage you to pray for your Pastors of your church. Ask Christ Jesus to put a hedge of protection around them and their family. Ask that the Holy Spirit fills them with the Word of GOD and not their own words. Ask the Holy Spirit to give them wisdom, knowledge, a revelation as they read and study GOD’s word and give and preach GOD’s Words each and every time they speak of GOD’s love, mercies and salvation.

" Worthy is the lamb who was slain. Worthy is the King who conquered the grave.”

Timothy P. Furness
timfurn is offline   Reply With Quote