Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 11-26-2015, 01:23 PM
Spike

Good luck to all of you headed north !
Old 11-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is an awesome thread, it's the reason i found & joined the site. Unfortunately the year we went the bou were already thru, we stayed at Donat Asselen's camp. Out of the 12 guys at our trailer, we got only 4 bou, half the guys left a day early. My bud and i got 3 calfs the last day. My bud has hunted up there quite a few times and never seen it that bad. Hope to hunt it again. How's the hunting forecast up there this year?
Old 12-01-2015, 02:18 AM
Spike

I'm hearing the lakes didn't freeze and most of the herd ended up over by Radisson. Hope it works out for everyone but you can't control mother nature. The next week might be a lot different though good luck to all.

Last edited by WESTFORD HUNTER; 12-02-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Rules 2016 - 2017

New Rules for 2016-2017 being rolled out.
- 22A is closed
- Tags in 22B reduced 20%
- Antlers only
- 2x cost per tags - need to buy tag for each animal ($375 ea.)
- New Cat III area being added to closed the gap from Wemd - Chisa
- Fall hunt is restricted to only 1 animal with =>40cm rack
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sport hunting migratory caribou 2016-2017 - Minister Lessard announces changes to the terms of hunting for migratory caribou of the leaf River herd

Québec, January 19, 2016- The Minister of forests, wildlife and parks, Mr. Laurent Lessard, promotes the advancement of follow-up work on the river herd caribou population leaves and Announces sport hunting arrangements which will be implemented in Northern Quebec for the 2016-2017 season.

"The situation of migratory caribou of Northern Quebec remains serious. Our Government therefore has the responsibility to implement the modalities that will respect the food and cultural contribution that this species provides Aboriginal nations, while considering the economic contribution that represents sport hunting offered by Outfitters operating within the territory. The Department demonstrated vigilance in the management of this species to ensure the sustainability of this symbol of wildlife of Quebec heritage", stated Minister Laurent Lessard.

Fall 2015 classification indicates that the number of fawns of this herd has increased, but that the proportion of large males remains worrying. The monitoring biological indicators on an annual basis to estimate the trend of a population between two inventories. The population has thus evaluated at about 332 000 caribou in fall 2015, a decrease of 6.7 per cent compared to that estimated in the fall of 2014. This decline is mainly due to the low survival rate of males. Therefore, application of more restrictive procedures for the management of sport hunting is required.

Thus, the catch limit will be reduced to a caribou licence with the possibility for a Hunter to get a second permit. Certain procedures, specifying the length of the wood, aim to reduce the pressure of harvesting in the segment of large males. In addition, zone 22A will be closed. The number of licences allocated to sport hunting in zone 22B, 23 West will be divided in the following way.

Summary of terms of sport hunting in force for the year 2016-2017

Zone 22A
• Closing of sport hunting for the year 2016-2017.
For other areas
• Limit capture of a caribou per license with the possibility for a Hunter to obtain two licences.
• Provincial catch limit set at two caribou per Hunter per year.
Zone 22B
• 1 234 licensing.
• Hunting period beginning 1 ER December 2016 and ending January 31, 2017.
• Prohibition on slaughter of caribou without wood or wood of less than 15 cm.
• Establishment of a corridor of exclusion of sport hunting in category III to share lands and across the road to Chisasibi.
Area 23 West
• 1 498 licensing.
• Hunting period beginning August 13, 2016 and ending October 2, 2016.
• For a fighter is being procured a second permit in this same area, prohibition to shoot more than one caribou whose size wood exceeds the top of the head more than 40 cm in height.
The Quebec Government will continue monitoring of biological indicators and remains associated with Caribou Ungava research group in the pursuit of research on the migratory caribou, particularly to assess the impact of the main predators and the effect of climate change on this herd.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
New Rules for 2016-2017 being rolled out.
- 22A is closed
- Tags in 22B reduced 20%
- Antlers only
- 2x cost per tags - need to buy tag for each animal ($375 ea.)
- New Cat III area being added to closed the gap from Wemd - Chisa
- Fall hunt is restricted to only 1 animal with =>40cm rack
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Sport hunting migratory caribou 2016-2017 - Minister Lessard announces changes to the terms of hunting for migratory caribou of the leaf River herd

Québec, January 19, 2016- The Minister of forests, wildlife and parks, Mr. Laurent Lessard, promotes the advancement of follow-up work on the river herd caribou population leaves and Announces sport hunting arrangements which will be implemented in Northern Quebec for the 2016-2017 season.

"The situation of migratory caribou of Northern Quebec remains serious. Our Government therefore has the responsibility to implement the modalities that will respect the food and cultural contribution that this species provides Aboriginal nations, while considering the economic contribution that represents sport hunting offered by Outfitters operating within the territory. The Department demonstrated vigilance in the management of this species to ensure the sustainability of this symbol of wildlife of Quebec heritage", stated Minister Laurent Lessard.

Fall 2015 classification indicates that the number of fawns of this herd has increased, but that the proportion of large males remains worrying. The monitoring biological indicators on an annual basis to estimate the trend of a population between two inventories. The population has thus evaluated at about 332 000 caribou in fall 2015, a decrease of 6.7 per cent compared to that estimated in the fall of 2014. This decline is mainly due to the low survival rate of males. Therefore, application of more restrictive procedures for the management of sport hunting is required.

Thus, the catch limit will be reduced to a caribou licence with the possibility for a Hunter to get a second permit. Certain procedures, specifying the length of the wood, aim to reduce the pressure of harvesting in the segment of large males. In addition, zone 22A will be closed. The number of licences allocated to sport hunting in zone 22B, 23 West will be divided in the following way.

Summary of terms of sport hunting in force for the year 2016-2017

Zone 22A
• Closing of sport hunting for the year 2016-2017.
For other areas
• Limit capture of a caribou per license with the possibility for a Hunter to obtain two licences.
• Provincial catch limit set at two caribou per Hunter per year.
Zone 22B
• 1 234 licensing.
• Hunting period beginning 1 ER December 2016 and ending January 31, 2017.
• Prohibition on slaughter of caribou without wood or wood of less than 15 cm.
• Establishment of a corridor of exclusion of sport hunting in category III to share lands and across the road to Chisasibi.
Area 23 West
• 1 498 licensing.
• Hunting period beginning August 13, 2016 and ending October 2, 2016.
• For a fighter is being procured a second permit in this same area, prohibition to shoot more than one caribou whose size wood exceeds the top of the head more than 40 cm in height.
The Quebec Government will continue monitoring of biological indicators and remains associated with Caribou Ungava research group in the pursuit of research on the migratory caribou, particularly to assess the impact of the main predators and the effect of climate change on this herd.
Did you guys check out the prices for a winter caribou hunt ? Prices are gone way up , I booked for Jan 2017 but will probably be my last year caribou hunting . Caribou hunting will be a thing of the past if the government doesn't pull up they're pants . Still bending over to keep the Cree nations quiet ..... ???
Old 02-05-2016, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Yup - basically 2 times the cost if you want 2 Caribou

If I could support the lodge I would but this is out of my reach this year. The bad part of these guys may go under - operating costs are steady and the days of 8500 tags is gone - image fighting to split 1200 tags for 22B with Kisk. If you could get 800 of these you are down to 25% of what you could do in the days of buying 6500 tags and charging $1240.

This is really a shame and the worse part is the science - not agree with the assessment of the native councils - they should monitor their own people 1st - Chiassabi last year was a damn shame the why they tried to show white hunters where the issue.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nord QC Bouman
Yup - basically 2 times the cost if you want 2 Caribou

If I could support the lodge I would but this is out of my reach this year. The bad part of these guys may go under - operating costs are steady and the days of 8500 tags is gone - image fighting to split 1200 tags for 22B with Kisk. If you could get 800 of these you are down to 25% of what you could do in the days of buying 6500 tags and charging $1240.

This is really a shame and the worse part is the science - not agree with the assessment of the native councils - they should monitor their own people 1st - Chiassabi last year was a damn shame the why they tried to show white hunters where the issue.
Agree with you 100% that the Cree should monitor their own Harvest . Was up hunting Dec 2014 for opener and when we passed the dumpsters at km 544 of James Bay road there was caribou heads all over the place . A real shame to see that . Wasn't the white man that's for sure cause the hunt wasn't open . Wonder what the tag situation would be for the outfitters if Nouchimi was still open ..... And another thing that I herd was that Hydro Quebec wanted to start a mega project up on La Grande Riviere La Baleine . So opening a road straight north to this location would ease the caribou hunt , something that Cree nations don't want . Will see what the future brings .
Old 11-30-2016, 04:22 PM
Spike

How is the migration looking this year? Hope everyone has a great hunt - Good Luck
Old 12-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WESTFORD HUNTER
How is the migration looking this year? Hope everyone has a great hunt - Good Luck
Not much talk going on . I'm going up dec 31st in the Radisson area . Looks like guys did ok for the first week in Radisson . Hunting is slow right now cause all the boo are out of the zone .

Last edited by moosehunter28; 12-14-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just read that the Quebec Caribou season is being shut down in February of 2018 for an undisclosed amount of time.

Quick Reply: Quebec Winter Caribou Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.