Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Other Areas
New Zealand -North or South Island? >

New Zealand -North or South Island?

Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

New Zealand -North or South Island?

Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Zealand -North or South Island?

I've been kicking around the idea of hunting New Zealand. Been doing a little research, but am just beginning. For anyone who has gone, would you recommend the North Island or the South Island? Any other tips, suggestions, and information in general would be appreciated. I'm wanting to hunt Red Stag primarily, but also want to experience New Zealand in general....
Old 04-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

My GF and I went to the South Island in 2014. We planned 3 weeks, the first week at Gary Herbert's 5 star hunting lodge, and two weeks driving a rental car around the island on the wrong side of the roads. We had a great trip even though much of the last two weeks was very rainy. The antlers of the estate stags dwarf the free range stags.

NZ has some crazy gun laws, for example, its illegal to leave your rifle in a locked car if you stop to eat at a restaurant.

NZ is a beautiful island and we compared it to Colorado with an ocean.

PM me if you want more details of places to see.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by buffybr
My GF and I went to the South Island in 2014. We planned 3 weeks, the first week at Gary Herbert's 5 star hunting lodge, and two weeks driving a rental car around the island on the wrong side of the roads. We had a great trip even though much of the last two weeks was very rainy. The antlers of the estate stags dwarf the free range stags.

NZ has some crazy gun laws, for example, its illegal to leave your rifle in a locked car if you stop to eat at a restaurant.

NZ is a beautiful island and we compared it to Colorado with an ocean.

PM me if you want more details of places to see.
Thanks... What did it cost to ship your antlers home?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tatonka
Thanks... What did it cost to ship your antlers home?
Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
I shot 5 animals that I brought home, The capes and antlers all came in one box. The Trophy Prep, crating, and shipment from NZ to San Francisco was $2,684, and the customs clearing and shipment to my Taxidermist in Bozeman was $780.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Ouch....that's a lot of money to get horns, etc. back.. Maybe I'll just do another trip to Canada and chase a moose around.... Only costs me the gas money to get the meat and horns back from there!