Labrador Winter Caribou Hunting

Community
Other Areas Canada, Africa, etc.

Labrador Winter Caribou Hunting

Old 12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Spike

Default Labrador Winter Caribou Hunting

Greetings all,

Istarted doingsome researchon the various caribou hunts up that way. I came up with a few questions hopefully someone can answer.

1. These guys (http://www.labrador-caribou.com/seasons.html)do a winter hunt.
a. Has anyone hunted with them before?
b. How was the drive from Baie-Comeau to Goose Bay?
c. How long was the drive?
d. How about their fall hunts?
e. Any comments good or bad about this outfit?
f. Any other Labrador winter outfits you can recommend?

2. Has anyone done the train ride from Sept-Iles to Schefferville? Looks like it takes about 10-12 hours to do.

Thanks in advance......John

Old 12-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Labrador Winter Caribou Hunting

If you are looking at a fall hunt you should consider a hunt for Woodland Caribou in Newfoundland. It is all spot and stalk and has great success. I have been 3 years in a row with the same outfitter and always had a fantastic time. The Woodland sub-species are a wonderful animal and they live in a beautiful land.

Old 12-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply. I did a fall hunt with Safari Nordik a couple of years back. Had a blast. I was thinking of trying a winter hunt to see what that was like. I have been following the other winter caribou thread for sometime now. Lots of excellent info on that one.

However,a couple of things make me a little nervous about the LGarea winterhunts. Seems they get alot of traffic up there andI was a somewhat disappointed when someone recently gave a reporttheyobserved dead caribou that wereshot and never recovered, posibbly due to the racks not being big enough.Things like that I tend to shy away from. That's why the query on the Labrador hunts.

Thanks again.....John
Old 12-20-2005, 05:39 AM

Winter hunts are very tough, i am assuming that you would be doing an all guided hunt? Also there are a lot outfitter claming the world when you go up there with nice lodges etc. and than fine your self in a plywood tent with an aunt house. I have been there and it was only late fall.I wouldcheck the web site.. i think it's call top10.com or top10hunting.com where outfitters are rated really tough. That is how i had found Labrador outdoors or there web. is www.bigstag.com.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Spike

Beast....Thanks for the reply. I'll checkout your links.

Are the Labrador winter hunts the sameconcept as the Quebecwinter hunts? You pay your money, get a couple of tags, a place to bunk, and then pointed in a certain direction??

I'm a little surprised more folks have not responded about the Labrador winter hunts. Maybe a harder hunt?....maybe the word is not out yet?......I don't know.

John

Old 12-21-2005, 05:43 AM

Coastie,

most of the hunts that will happen in labrador will not go past october do to there extreme tempetures and snow fall. The southern parts will be better for the winter hunt. When i went up 2 seasons ago i was way up by hudson bay we took a float plane from Schefferville and flew 2 hrs north and than took a boat ride north also. This was is september and damn it was cold the day we got there "0" and snowing than the sun came out and went to 30, great hunting weather. But very windy! always. They told me to sight in my rifle for min. 200 yards, but both of my caribou shots were way over that. It's a good thing i did not bring a bow .
Old 12-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Spike

"most of the hunts that will happen in labrador will not go past october do to there extreme tempetures and snow fall. The southern parts will be better for the winter hunt"

Beast,

I was just refering to the winter hunts only.

Do you have any pics to post?

John