HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Other Areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas-29/)
-   -   North Western Ontario Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/other-areas/100875-north-western-ontario-deer-hunting.html)

Spot Light 05-21-2005 04:16 PM

North Western Ontario Deer Hunting

I need dome information on a good (great) area of North Western Ontario for a trophy/self guided hunt for white tails. I have found some information about Emo (kenora) area and was wondering if any one has hunted this area and if they could recomemend a good area specifically.

TerryM 05-22-2005 08:07 PM

RE: North Western Ontario Deer Hunting

The area around Nestor falls is known as a great Whitetail zone. Check it out.

LITTLE MAGNUM 06-13-2005 04:10 AM

Emo is south of Nesterfalls and is in the Rainey River District, a guide only zone if you are a non resident non-Canadian. Some farm country in Emo lots of deer. Good deer hunting from Ft. Frances on up to Kenora and or west to Dryden. Every where you go in that block is water. Lodging might be a problem during deer hunting time. Hope that helps

ReneWCadene 06-21-2005 03:32 PM

What do you want to know? I live and hunt whitetails here. I've hunted and fished in Nestor Falls. I have some property north of Emo that is where I'll be doing some hunting. I was in Dryden Vermillion Bay area last year and hunt mostly around Thunder Bay every year. If you want to trophy hunt I suggest you pick an area and go after it. If you enjoy calling/rattling and putting on foot miles and also being patient and watch glass pipelines, cutover frindges etc you stand a good chance of bagging a mature whitetail. As for genetics, I'm trying to develop a good picture on that and right now I see some areas around Thunder Bay, Rainey River district and Dryden area as good bet's. Kenora area is polluted with deer but it is sometimes hard to find access in areas where other hunters aren't. You can have fun and do well in many locations. Nestor Falls is a great base to hunt out of. There are many logging roads that reach many good areas. Not much hunting far from roads or quad trails. Many deer live to be old. So bring a big woods mentality. Now farm land hunting and frindges lend themselves to possible drives and locations on edges and funnels. Access can be had on some properties by asking but many are starting to ask for something or are leased to outfitters in the Emo area. Also, as mentioned you need a guide. But by far, mostof this rugged lake infested terrain is bush.If your interested I may be able to help you out further.

Rene

x-mountie 06-21-2005 06:43 PM

Spot Light : Why don't you check with some of your brothers-in -law up around that area. They should know and you maybe even wind up with a place to stay.

Gary

Syd1981 07-02-2005 10:39 AM

Check out the area around Vermillion bay. I used to guide at a fishing and hunting lodge up there. I couldn't stick around for deer season but there sure were some monsters!

canadiangoosehunter 07-23-2005 10:05 PM

Kenora has produced some monster bucks over the past few years i have some buddies who live there and always bag a big dear,, but i still think we grow em bigger here on the praries