Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Revolutionary change in optics coming >

Revolutionary change in optics coming

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Revolutionary change in optics coming

Old 01-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Revolutionary change in optics coming

The most disruptive technology in our lifetime-the use of specially engineered polymers that will replace glass lenses-will make our binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes much lighter, and more powerful than ever- Andrew McKean/Outdoor Life Technology Report.

Nano engineered lenses able optics that have higher resolution, wider fields of view, and are lighter. Nano lenses can have as many as 500,000 to 3.5 million layers. They will be lighter, shorter, clearer and stronger according to McKean. Currently the military is replacing the glass in the PVS-14 night vision units with the new techology. The glass version is 4.4 oz and polymer nano version is 2.9 oz. The new optics may debut as soon as the 2018 Shot show.

Last edited by losthwy; 01-23-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by losthwy
The most disruptive technology in our lifetime-the use of specially engineered polymers that will replace glass lenses-will make our binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes much lighter, and more powerful than ever- Andrew McKean/Outdoor Life Technology Report.

Nano engineered lenses able optics that have higher resolution, wider fields of view, and are lighter. Nano lenses can have as many as 500,000 to 3.5 million layers. They will be lighter, shorter, clearer and stronger according to McKean. Currently the military is replacing the glass in the PVS-14 night vision units with the new techology. The glass version is 4.4 oz and polymer nano version is 2.9 oz. The new optics may debut as soon as the 2018 Shot show.
Great get the checkbook out !lol
Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Must mean...

they'll be some good opportunities to get some second and third generation optics for us retired folks.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

They said it would revolutionize the jewelry market when man-made diamond production became feasible too...

I'm sure at some point, if I don't own one, then my son assuredly will, but I can't fathom the unlikely potential in which my great great great grandson would never see a glass lense sporting optic. My son will never hold a bakelite rotary phone (which I grew up with myself), he'll likely never even live in a home with a land line of any kind. Cellular phone technology was revolutionary. Different optical lens material technology is not revolutionary.
Old 12-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Spike

I'm looking forward to the revolution — or at least the progress! 😊

Just got an advertising email from Konus (Italy) who came out with a scope with an electronic reticle — select among over a dozen reticles the one best suited to your shooting scenario.
Not revolutionary, but a great idea.
Lighter optics — yeah, man, bring it on!
Everything else seems to be getting bigger (and thus heavier), so some move in the opposite direction is welcome! 👍🏼

Matthias