Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Leitz binocular repair >

Leitz binocular repair

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Leitz binocular repair

Old 07-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Spike

Default Leitz binocular repair

I have a pair of 35+ year old Leitz 10x40 binoculars. I really like them because they are small and light, but they need some work. I need new eye cups, they need adjustments and calibration. Does anyone know who I can send them to for this repair, other than Leica Camera?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

My educated guess would be to just go out and buy a pair of decent binos that meet your needs because it's doubtful you find a place to fix them and if they would even have the parts it will probably cost an arm an a leg compared to buying new and better glass for what you'll pay for repairs.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try this outfit. Depending when you bought the binos you may have a lifetime warranty. http://www.company7.com/leica/warbin.html
Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 PM
Spike

Hi topgun, thanks for the reply, but these are not your cheap run of the mill binoculars. I paid about $900 for them new over 35 years ago. I use them for sporting events due to them being 10 power and are real small and light and fit easily in a jacket pocket. I have a pair of Leica RF 10x42 and the the Leitz are probably just as clear as the Leica, although not as good light gathering or field of view.

Hi oldtimer, thank you for the lead on company7, I am going to contact them tomorrow and hopefully they can help me out. I will keep you posted as to what they tell me.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Spike

I called Company 7 and talked to a gentleman whose name is Martin. He was very knowledgeable and helpful. He told me my Leitz Trinovid binoculars are quality binoculars and people like them for the same reasons I like them. They are high quality, very small and light. I am going to send them in for repair and he indicated it might cost in the range of $300 to get them back in good condition, providing they don't have any internal fungus growth inside them from moisture, and i don't think they do. He said if the repair cost is $1000 or more, then they would not be worth fixing.
Thanks again Oldtimr.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

You are welcome. I hope it works out.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

You learn something every day! I had never heard of them and if they are worth that kind of money I can see why you want to see what it will cost for repairs before looking for replacements. I hope things work out for you and by all means let us know what happens.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Spike

I sent them in yesterday and will keep you posted as to how everything goes. There is a lot of sentimental value to these binoculars also. I took them on numerous mule deer hunting trips to the Arizona Strip, Colorado, Montana, Utah and was able to look over and shoot several trophy mule deer. For that reason I would probably be willing to pay more to have them repaired than what I could buy a new pair of binoculars for.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM
LGF
Spike

Silverstreak -

Can you let us know about your experience with company 7? I also have old Trinovids that need attention.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:41 PM
Spike

About 3 weeks after I sent them in for repair I got a call from them telling me what was wrong with them and a quote of $350 to repair them. I told them to go ahead with the repair and used a credit card to pay for it. I have not heard back from them and as a matter of fact was just thinking about calling to see what was going on. I will do that tomorrow and let you know what they say.