Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Is my swarovski still good? >

Is my swarovski still good?

Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Is my swarovski still good?

Old 09-22-2015, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Is my swarovski still good?

Odd title i suppose, but im trying to ask is, with improvements in technology and coatings, im wondering if my 14 yo scope is still as bright and clear as newer less expensive scopes. For example, scopes in the $400 range

Mine is a 2.5-9x 42
Old 09-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had scopes a lot longer than 14 years. As long as the nitrogen doesn't leak out and allow the scope to fog, it should be fine. One thing people forget is to clean the lenses on their scopes and dirty lenses will cut down on brightness.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Get a friend with one of those $400 scopes to go out with you just before dark and test both of them if you just have to know. A better question might be is that Swarovski still doing everything you need it to do? And as oldtimr pointed out, if there's been a leak, etc., Swarovski has a very good warranty and, depending on the amount of repairs needed for your scope, you might end up with a much "newer" model similar to your original. How do I know that? Swarovski binoculars sent in for a warranty repair.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Mine is still working fine but a guy at the club said it might be worth getting a new scope bc the processes have significantly improved in 14 yrs. he said the performance of 400$ scopes today are similar to my older Swarovski.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Send it back to Swarovski for a check up.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tealboy
Odd title i suppose, but im trying to ask is, with improvements in technology and coatings, im wondering if my 14 yo scope is still as bright and clear as newer less expensive scopes. For example, scopes in the $400 range

Mine is a 2.5-9x 42
The short and skinny is NO.

Sadly a lot of my aging fleet of Swarovski , leica and Kahles scopes and Binoculars simply cannot keep up,with today's $400 and $500 quality optics from such makers as Leupold, Ziess and Nikon, the process of Mukticoatings on the lens has gotten so refined that the quality in optic quality has jumped measurably.

That's not to say that the optics are not still rugged and dependable. They are.

I MAY have to have a catotrophic accident or two on a couple of models and test the waters on the warranty and see what happens and see if I can get a "upgrade"
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's Swarovski !!!

I have this old Parker SXS shotgun; is it still good ?

Do you know what I mean......................
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Is my swarovski still good? "

That is a sentence that I have never heard before!

Your Swarovski still is a solid, reliable, and dependable scope. I have never seen a Swarovski scope fail and I can not say that about too many brands without regard to age or cost. Yes, coatings have been improved but that is far behind reliability on the list of desirable rifle scope features.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think miketodd58 has the clearest (get it?) answer. Everything I have read seems to confirm major advances in lens coating technology in the past 10 - 15 years such that you get a lot more for your $$ these days. I had an old Pecar scope that I upgraded for this reason. Sold it to a collector and used the money to pick up a new product that was a major step up in clarity.

So your Swarovski is probably not as good as a new $400 scope. But depending on what you do, it's very likely good enough.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mine must be all depreciated

None over $250; none under 15 years old. Hope they all don't go at once.

Ha, Well at least I can sight them in myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.