Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
Cabelas fall catalog >

Cabelas fall catalog

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Cabelas fall catalog

Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cabelas fall catalog

I got my Cabelas fall catalog in today and noticed it was chalked full,of quality optics.

Noticabley missing were brands like Bushnell , Simmons and Tasco.

Why did they discontinue carrying the cheap scopes? Were people just not buying them anymore ? High rate of return? Too many Defective ones?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Typical Buck

Was at the Delaware store about a month ago and they had some simmons and bushnell scopes not many but they had some. More bushnells then simmons didn't see any tascos. They were really trying to push their own brand. I bought one of their rimfire scopes to try only shot with it one time but it was a nice clear scope for the money. Bass pro in Baltimore does not carry tasco or simmons they too push their on line of cheaper scope.

Last edited by Bbj270; 08-27-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Spike

Personally, I think it's because Cabela's wants to highlight their own brands, which makes total business sense. It's really an incredibly smart business model to retail all the major brands, and then take features from the best sellers and put your name on it.

Also, there has been an increasing shift in the hunting industry to higher end gear in general. The lower end items aren't moving as well as they used to, and the margins are smaller so the bigger retailers are eliminating them.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is only so much space in a catalog or on a retail store shelf. Cabela's sells these other brands through their web site, as do many others.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

What do you folks think about cabelas brand of scopes.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

The one I have is pretty good haven't used it a lot as I just got it about a month ago. It seems pretty clear. Know some one that has and older Alaskan guide series scope on a 416 Rigby it holds up to that.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

I'm sure the Cabelas optics are fine but I don't understand why anyone would buy one. I know they are slightly less than comparable brand models but other than that what are the advantages? Warranty? No. Resale value? Absolutely not.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Meopta makes some of Cabelas stuff. They are good (quality-wise) and will likely last many years. I haven't bought any optics from Cabelas for over 20 years. All of my some comes from S.W.F.A. in Texas.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

The Warrington my cabelas rimfire scope is a limited life time warranty. Better then a lot of cheaper scope warranties out their.